Read errors during benchmarking

Started by Jim

Jim

Read errors during benchmarking   23 September 2013, 22:49

Hello,

I am switching from "another" ram disk product to this one as I read several reviews touting this one as very fast. The previous product I had worked well (reliable save on shutdown, stable). So far, I like this product quite a bit. It's got a couple more bells and whistles, but is for the most part equivalent.

I'm running 3.4.0 (x64) on the RTM/GA version of Windows Sever 2012 R2 (I'm an MSDN user so I already have it). I have a 4GB ram disk, setup to load image on startup, save contents to image, auto-save every 2880 minutes.

I have it set up mount as removable. I did this because I was having an issue with windows backup not seeing all my drives and some google-ing suggested that would work, and it did.

I do not have it set for Hard Disk Emulation. I formatted the image using FAT32.

I benchmarked the disk using ATTO first, and I got a read error (that sadly, I did not record). I did it twice and received it twice at roughly the same point in the test.

So, I figured... maybe it's just the tool. Let's try a different one. I benchmark the disk using Crystal DiskMark x64 (default settings) it stops in the same place each time and reports the following error:
---------------------------
DiskMarkX64
Read Error.
0x00000021:The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.
OK

At this point I started trying to research it and thought I'd post something here. Figuring I should get the exact error I saw in ATTO, I tried it again. This time, two runs through and I couldn't reproduce it! ARGH!

So, one more sanity check of running DiskMark x64. This time, different error, and it happened a touch earlier in the tests.
DiskMarkX64
Write Error.
0x00000021:The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.
OK

Have you guys done any tests on Windows Server 2012 R2 yet? If I'm the only one seeing them, I will try some of the easy stuff and report back (reboot and try again... memory diagnostic test... switch to hard disk emulation and retest... any other suggestions?)

Thanks!
-Jim
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Read errors during benchmarking   26 September 2013, 10:28

Thank you for the detailed report.
We have a couple of fixes related to the locking of a disk. I will post a test version shortly.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Read errors during benchmarking   26 September 2013, 20:40

Please try the latest build and let me know if it fixes the issue. You will need to uninstall your existing installation first and reboot.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.