Empty RAMdick after reboot, image "not formatted"

Started by Canba Rezzo

Canba Rezzo

Empty RAMdick after reboot, image "not formatted"   17 October 2013, 04:41

Hi,

I had this problem now several times and each time it makes me sick - after reboot ramdisk is mounted, but all files are gone and the ramdisk is not even formatted.

This happens from time to time and I do not see any pattern - a few weeks everything is fine, ramdisk is always there after reboot with all files that have been saved before into the image and autoload seems to work great. Then at some point it all fails - I can not reproduce it, it just happens sometimes, but it is extremely annoying, because after this event it is not possible to mount the saved disk image manually and get the data out of there - everything is away!

The ramdisk image is mounted after reboot, but it looks like it is not formatted and windows can not write / read anything to it and wants to format the disk.

Is there any way to get the data out of such a dead ramdisk? I tried RECUVA, but it can not access anything on the mounted image file because there is no filesystem - also windows dialog pops up to format that drive.

This is totally annoying. I really like your tools, that is why I tried your ramdisk, but I think this is a failed project - there is certainly much expertise in the tools you are producing, but this one will destroy your good name, as it destroys our userdata in ramdisk. I was using Dataram Ramdisk before and this software is rock solid, never had any problems like this.

I strongly recommend you mark your ramdisk software clearly as EXPERIMENTAL and put a VERY big warning on the website for this software to WARN USERS and make the status of this unfinished and data-destroying piece clear to everyone. Maybe it would be even better to completely put it off the internet and test a few years with a closed beta group until you have collected enough experience for a software like this.

I am not trying to annoy you, these are serious and open words I would talk to my best friend - if you produce sh*t, I will say it like this, so you are aware of the wrong direction you are taking.

Again: I really like all your other tools and never had problems with them, but ramdisk is a great fail and far below the expected quality level - it would be better do disappear, until matured.

And please PUT THE WARNING for users on your site, so that they know that they will lose their data!

Thanks, I am going back to dataram now, enough of this experimental stuff, it costs me far too much time.

If there is any possibility to get the data out of the image file, which now always shows up as unformatted, any hints are appreciated.

Good Luck!
BTW the data still seems to be in the file, it is possible to look into the svi file even with simple tools like Total Commander file viewer - so there seems to be some kind of flag changed so that windows can not mount the disk file. Is there any way to change this and remount this file without formatting and loosing all data?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Empty RAMDISK after reboot, image "not formatted", DATA LOST - how to restore?   17 October 2013, 08:34

You can try to mount the image by some other tool at a 4096-byte offset. See this topic for details.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Empty RAMDISK after reboot, image "not formatted", DATA LOST - how to restore?   17 October 2013, 18:53

Also what version of the RAM disk are you using? Logon-time or boot-time volume? What file system? Formatted by Windows tools or from within the RAM disk application?
Hi,

today i had the same problem, and this already happened before, so i have to agree with Canba Rezzo, people should be aware of the risks inherent of using this software. Losing data after working on it for a few hours is no fun.

Don't take me wrong i really like this software and i had good results it, but i find it too dangerous to keep using it as a keep losing work from time to time, so today i am quitting using this RAM drive.

Please do not take this as an attack, it just my honest opinion.

Regards and best of luck.
Hi,
I faced the same problem too. But in my opinion the problem comes only if I use the "Save contents to associated image every, min" option in the "Advanced Disc Properties" Dialog Box.
When I uncheck this option the problem disappear.
I use 1GB RAMDisc, witch is automatically mounted on startup. Using version 3.4.2.

Regards!
I have the same problem with 3.4.3 @ Windows 7 Ultimate x64

"Save Contents to Image" is enabled (i've set it to make a backup every 5 minutes).

But.. this program seems to have many bugs and/or broken features and is also very unstable (instant BSOD when changing options and 25% CPU usage increase after mounting a RAM disk @ Intel Core i7-2600K with HT disabled).

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.