v3.4.3 seems to boot late

Started by Gil

Gil

v3.4.3 seems to boot late   24 November 2013, 22:53

I recently installed version 3.4.3 (I was using 3.3.3) of Ram drive and no longer can use it for the paging file. After reboot I get this message: "Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer (...)". When disabling "Hide protected operating system files" in explorer I notice that there's no pagefile.sys there. In short, on boot Windows acts as if the drive isn't available and creates it elsewhere. This didn't happen before. "Launch automatically with Windows" is on (as everything else in Tools > Settings, as before).
The drive is a "disk mounted on boot", NTFS, Hard Disk emulation disabled, compression disabled and it has 7168MB. The pagefile was only 2048MB first, and 1024MB on a second attempt, so it's not for lack of space. It is otherwise functional, system temp folder is there and working, as well as other files from different programs.

OS is Windows 7 Pro sp1 64bit. And again, it worked with 3.3.3.

ps: Don't hijack this into a "why place the virtual memory in a ram drive?" argument. If you can help, please do. Otherwise, accept that there are indeed programs that cache even when memory is available (Windows does it all the time), and that some of us wish to have that in memory rather than a hd. For similar reasons, no point suggesting to disable the virtual memory altogether. I'm not writing this to fuel a debate on the matter, quite the opposite. Thank you.

Re: v3.4.3 seems to boot late   01 December 2013, 12:01

I have come across this same problem. The only solution I've found is to leave the pagefile on the boot drive.
CatDoc

Re: v3.4.3 seems to boot late   10 December 2013, 19:11

I have this exact problem.

Just updated today to 3.4.3 after almost a year of flawless operation. (I had a cluster-foxtrot with Dragon Naturally Speaking destroying my \TMP folder, lost 4 hours of editing, could not for the life of me get RAM Disk to unmount under any circumstances. I decided to "upgrade" to this, and now, like you, it doesn't seem to load "in time" for Windows to use it for pagefile.sys.

System Properties: "Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer. The total paging file size for all disk drives may be somewhat larger than the size you specified."

If I go to change the virtual memory right away, the RAM Disc doesn't even show up on the list, just my C: and D: drive. As I was typing this and re-checked, it's now listed as an option, but my prior paging file choices were not saved for it.

Wonder where I can download the prior version...
CatDoc

Re: v3.4.3 seems to boot late   10 December 2013, 20:03

SOLVED it for my own system (so far, duration: 5 minutes). I had to unmount and re-create a new drive that would load at boot. I used the Start Menu's "Run" and typed in this long-ass command:

C:\Program Files\SoftPerfect RAM Disk\ramdiskws.exe /add:"type=boot, letter=R, fs=NTFS, size=3000M, save=yes, label=RamDrive3, image=C:\Users\RedRocket\Ramdrive.svi"
CatDoc

Re: v3.4.3 seems to boot late   11 December 2013, 07:11

12 hours later, the image header got corrupted. What was set as a 3Gb image is for some reason 4Gb and unreadable.

This program worked flawlessly since January, until I foolishly updated to 3.4.3, and has now cost me two days' work and unbelievable frustration. Wish I could find the older version from January 2013, or hope there will be a fix released soon.
Wolven

Re: v3.4.3 seems to boot late   25 February 2014, 07:39

I ran into this same problem. The solution I found was to WAIT for 30-60 seconds once the logon screen pops up BEFORE logging on. I'm guessing it takes a bit of time to set up the ram disk and if you logon too soon windows tries to setup the pagefile before the ramdisk is setup.
DW75

Re: v3.4.3 seems to boot late   13 March 2015, 23:47

Wolve's solution seems to work, but i was most annoyed in finding that this issue existed at all, as i have 32GB RAM and my bootdrive is a relatively small SSD which then ends up with a full 32GB pagefile, so i now have to keep a minimal size 16MB pagefile on my slow HDD to avoid useless writing on the SSD whenever i happen to log on too quickly.

What i will try to do however is, to see if i can find one of those apps for selecting what boots in what order and try to place the ramdisk first in the queue.
DW75

Re: v3.4.3 seems to boot late   16 March 2015, 10:24

Update...

Don't use a RAMdisk larger than 6GB, and it seems to work (at least on my system). It may be sensitive to pagefile size as well, not quite sure on that (seemed to fail more often if i set a larger pagefile than 1GB and much more often with larger than 3GB, but it may have been something else affecting ), so i set it to 1024MB start size and 3072 max size.

OTOH, I've had hordes of BSODs with code F4, so i had to use system reset and start over twice now, but now it finally seems to be working alright. Changing startup order did nothing useful at all though.

And FYI to those shouting about how useless it is to put a pagefile in a RAMdisk, you would be right, if it wasn't for MS being so stupid. But since Microsoft is incompetent, having a "small" pagefile on a RAMdisk is vastly superior to having it disabled.

For developers, my system is (brand new install, twice now since it seems it was SP RAMdisk causing the BSODs):
i7 4790K
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H Black Edition
32GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 1866
256GB Crucial MX-100 SSD
3 TB WD Red (new)
2 TB WD Red (migrated from old system)
generic DVDRW
Still running on CPU integrated graphics (my gfx card was delayed and i still want the option of using my old system)

The software is clean in interface and easy to use, if it was reliable, i'd give it top marks, as it is, good job, but it still needs some more tinkering it seems.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.