RAM disk crashes if pagefile.sys size isn't set to zero and not selected by Windows

Started by shurikenix

RAM disk crashes if pagefile.sys size isn't set to zero and not selected by Windows   02 December 2014, 04:56

Windows 7 x64 installed on SSD, SP RAM disk v. 3.4.6, (MB ASRock z87 pro)
If size of pagefile.sys set to zero or selected by Windows, ramdisk works fine, otherwise Windows crashed on boot. I try many values of pagefile - 512MB, 1024MB, 4096MB - nothing changes. Without ramdisk Windows works correctly with any size of pagefile.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: RAM disk crashes if pagefile.sys size isn't set to zero and not selected by Windows   02 December 2014, 09:02

There isn't much we can do without a memory dump. If possible, could you please do the following?

1. Enable the kernel memory dump (a minidump is not sufficient):
  2. Restart the system.
  3. Then once a crash occurs, please send us the MEMORY.DMP file (compress it and upload to a file sharing service or attach to a email).
Unfortunately, windows could not create a dump file, I tried many variants. Only log files and photo of screen. Windows is trial and clear - without drivers and updates from december 2012. Boot with ramdisk not always crash the windows. Sometimes windows boot successfully.
Attachments:
open | download – logs.zip (86.6 KB)

Re: RAM disk crashes if pagefile.sys size isn't set to zero or not selected by Windows   03 December 2014, 14:37

Sorry the logs can't really shed light on this mystery. We'll try to reproduce it, but it seems to be a very obscure issue.
VD

Re: RAM disk crashes if pagefile.sys size isn't set to zero or not selected by Windows   03 December 2014, 14:42

shurikenix

If size of pagefile.sys set to zero or selected by Windows, ramdisk works fine, otherwise Windows crashed on boot. I try many values of pagefile - 512MB, 1024MB, 4096MB - nothing changes. Without ramdisk Windows works correctly with any size of pagefile.

What size do you specify for the RAM disk?
How much memory your system have installed?
Ramdisk size is 1GB. Installed memory is 16 GB, but I reduced it to 2GB in boot options using msconfig when trying to create dump file. After boot windows show installed 16GB, available 2GB. And it takes no effect - dump file not generated.
I set pagefile to 0 now. But sometimes windows show message that insufficient RAM, because I use many applications in my work and many files may be opened at the same time. With pagefile this message not showing.

RAM disk crashes if pagefile.sys size isn't set to zero and not selected by Windows   04 December 2014, 19:09

I tried install windows on notebook. The same error. Also I tried another distributive. BSOD.
Can you send links to previous versions since 3.4? I use SP ramdisk above 2 years, and this first problem with it.
Hi,
I can confirm the same behavior of RAM disk on my win 7x64 sp1. It just recently come to my attention that my page.sys is 32gb (amount of my ram) and I tried to reduce that to 50mb or 100mb or to 0. I was not able to boot my comp after that only with help of hiren's boot dvd and then I renamed spvve.sys to spvve.syss and after that comp booted normally and then in windows I can increase page.sys size and now after full day of experiment I left it on 1500mb.

My version is 3.4.6. I reported the same in feb or mar 2014 here asking how to change size of page.sys outside of windows and then I found problematic driver - above mentioned spvve.sys and by renaming it I can deal with bsods and then change the size of page.sys. After bsods I don't have memory dump even if it is enabled. Just 2 of them and in one of them I spotted spvve.sys and that remind me of the same problems in feb or mar 2014 with ver. 3.4.5. which I use until few days ago. I know that this info won't help you pinpoint the problem but there is something problematic with page.sys and ramdisk. In feb/mar 2014 bsods were happening on my home comp and now on laptop. I didn't experienced them before on laptop since I didn't pay attention to page.sys and it size.

Hibernation is switched off. My HD is samsung ssd 840 pro. Video nvidia 780gtx. Ramdisk is set to 10gb permanent.

Re: RAM disk crashes if pagefile.sys size isn't set to zero and not selected by Windows   03 February 2015, 11:58

Unfortunately the cause of these issues with the page file on a RAM disk is unclear and doesn't seem to be reproducible in our test environment.

All I can recommend at this stage is not to put the page file on a RAM disk. Besides, this is generally not a good idea to do so: please see "Why it is not recommended to store the page file on a RAM disk" article for details.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.