CCleaner and ver 3.4.6

Started by mmills

mmills

CCleaner and ver 3.4.6   27 March 2015, 00:39

Hi, is there a fix for the issue with running ccleaner and image files or image-based RAM disks
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: CCleaner and ver 3.4.6   27 March 2015, 01:27

No there is not, as the reasons are unclear. Here is what CCleaner guys say

CCleaner does not specifically target the files relating to your product, however we believe it maybe being impacted by the fact that RAM disk is storing files in the Windows Temp location. This is a location which is identified as a prominent cleaning location as lots of programs use this for storing its temporary files.

Files that are present in this temp location and belong to the application are locked when application is running, so CCleaner's cleaning can be safety performed when application is running and RAM drives are mounted.

You users can avoid this scenario by changing your temporary file location within the preferences of RAM Disk.

CCleaner does already have the functionality to help avoid this issue. Here are 2 methods to help protect users:

1. Disabling the Temporary Files rules within CCleaner.
  2. Excluding the file location and file format from being cleaned by CCleaner using the Exclude list.

mmills

Re: CCleaner and ver 3.4.6   29 March 2015, 00:41

Hello,

Thanks for the info. For clarification, how do I change the temporary file location within the preferences of RAM Disk? My goal is to move my system and user temp files to the ramdisk and all my browser temp files as well.

Thank you.

Re: CCleaner and ver 3.4.6   29 March 2015, 21:30

It can be set in Tools - Set Windows TEMP folder from the RAM Disk's main menu.

As to the browser, you can google how to do it for your favourite one, the process is different for every browser.
Devnullius

Re: CCleaner and ver 3.4.6   03 April 2015, 02:57

Erhm... Softperfect RAM Disk has no option to set its temp working folder (mainly; there isn't one?). The TEMP options given in the GUI are for setting the Windows TEMP folders... So in the context of this discussion, adding to the problems, not removing them?

Though I must admit... I don't see why a cleanup program corrupts a boot ram disk... :s Or is it that the cleanup tools themselves crash? And the RAM disks keep working just fine?

Just wondering... smile

Devvie

Re: CCleaner and ver 3.4.6   03 April 2015, 17:20

Well that's a mystery. All we know it works fine with a volatile RAM disk, however a corruption occurs when the RAM disk is backed by an image file and a cleanup utility is used. It's not reproducible and seems to occur sporadically.
Devnullius

Re: CCleaner and ver 3.4.6   03 April 2015, 19:25

Maybe Cleanup! by Steven Gould works for those people... Cleans up all user accounts and scans all drives for temp files. I made a batch script to run at logon. Never have it seen crash on me, my default tool for many years. I always hated CCleaner (CRAP cleaner indeed ;p)...

See Must Have's, item 9: http://scforum.info/index.php/topic,8202.msg20873.html#msg20873 - checkdisk scripts.

Devvie smile

Re: CCleaner and ver 3.4.6   03 May 2015, 18:31

i have the same issue.
disabling "Run CCleaner when the computer starts" on options, resolves the issue.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.