How to save a mounted disk as an Image file

Started by ramless

ramless

How to save a mounted disk as an Image file   14 May 2015, 07:07

I have the RAM Disk program installed on Windows 7 Pro. I am able to create an empty, formatted NTFS RAM disk, into which I can copy files and use the programs therein. However, I would like to create an image file from this RAM-disk along with the files and programs already in it so that I can simply load this saved image at will. However, I cannot seem to get the steps down as I understand them. Right now I can see the RAM disk mounted and I can use the programs in it. How do I save this disk and its contents into a remountable image? Thanks.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to save a mounted disk as an Image file   15 May 2015, 11:22

You'd need to create an image-based RAM disk. In order to create an image-based RAM disk, follow these steps:

1. Choose Image - Create Image to create a formatted (FAT32 or NTFS) image file of the required size, for example 1 GB. Save it somewhere on your hard disk.
  2. Create a RAM disk (I recommend a boot-time one) by choosing Disk - Add Boot Disk from the main menu. Choose the image file you created earlier and a drive letter. Tick Save Contents to Image if you would like any changes to the RAM disk to be written back to the image file upon shutdown.
  3. Now you have got an image-backed RAM disk. Upon startup the RAM disk is populated with the data from the image file. Upon shutdown the RAM will be written back to the image file if you have chosen Save Contents to Image or when you click the aforementioned toolbar icon.

Hope this helps.
ramless

Re: How to save a mounted disk as an Image file   16 May 2015, 04:13

I do very much appreciate your help. It worked perfectly! So, I created the RAM disk and copied the Firefox Browser Portable and supporting files to this disk. Following your procedure, I ticked off the "Save Contents", and the contents then returned when I rebooted. That is great. This is a good program, and it will save a lot of time. It would be even more wonderful if I could create such RAM-disk and copy files to it in order to save it all to an image, but have this contents NOT changed each time. Thus I could be assured that the browser returned to its same state when I rebooted. But, as it is, I am surely not complaining, only putting in a request. Thanks, again, for all the help on this.
bart

Re: How to save a mounted disk as an Image file   25 August 2015, 10:16

in advanced options upon ADD BOOT DISK you can set it to Save Contents every.. 1min or so cool

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.