Empty RAMdisk after startup

Started by Rob

Rob

Empty RAMdisk after startup   24 June 2015, 23:12

After using Softperfect Ramdisk for about 1 week, on start up today my ramdisk is empty apart from the single folder it had on it which used to contain 3 visual studio projects.
None of the projects are present on the ramdisk. Each project was it's own sub-folder and contains 1000's of files.

How can I recover these folders and their contents?

Any idea why this has happened. I was about to recommend this RAMdisk for production but now I am unsure about even using it on my home machine.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Empty RAMdisk   25 June 2015, 00:12

Are you using an image-based RAM Disk?

It's crucial to understand that a RAM disk is volatile by design and its content disappears upon shutdown or restart, unless backed by an image file.
Rob

Re: Empty RAMdisk   25 June 2015, 00:29

Ah, my misunderstanding. Doh!

I had assumed that the product was automatically backed by an image file. For the last week I have probably been sleeping the computer rather than shutting down. Of course I understand a ram disk is volatile by nature, hence my assumption it would be backed by an image file by default.

Thank you for your prompt response.

Re: Empty RAMdisk   25 June 2015, 00:34

I am sorry to hear you have lost the data though. Many people use the RAM Disk as a temporary files storage or browser cache, so that's where volatileness is rather desirable.

For your task, please create an image file and associate it with a RAM disk as briefly outlined in the user's manual. I also recommend to periodically backup the image file, just in case.
Rob

Re: Empty RAMdisk   29 June 2015, 22:28

Nothing major lost, so no worries. I was running more as a trial of the product for speeding up builds of Visual Studio with VS itself installed on an SSD & solutions/projects on a RAM disk. All is good now and the image file is backed up automatically on a daily basis, but also all projects should be checked in as a matter of course, throughout a working day.

Thanks once again for such a prompt response. I have no problem recommending SoftPerfects RAM disk going forward.

Cheers!
Stephen Bennett

Empty RAMdisk after startup   21 August 2015, 07:05

Please, what steps exactly save the image for the RAM Disk so that it appears immediately after login without having to be remounted each login. I thought that I had followed the steps in the manual and I need create and save an image. file.

Re: Empty RAMdisk after startup   21 August 2015, 19:02

Not sure what you mean by remounting each login, but here's how an image file can be used:
  1. Create an image file via Image - Create Image in the main menu. This creates an image file on the hard disk.
  2. Put any files and folders to the image. For this, choose Image - Mount Image. This makes the image file accessible via a drive letter. It's still on the hard disk, not in RAM yet.
  3. Once you are done with the files and folders, unmount it with Image - Unmount Image.
  4. Create a RAM disk associated with the image file, which now has your file structure in it. For this, choose Disk - Add Boot Disk and select your image file. This makes a RAM disk associated with your image file.
  5. Tick Save Contents to Image if you want to save any changes to the image on shutdown or not otherwise.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.