Windows 10 crash

Started by Chad.S

Chad.S

Windows 10 crash   31 July 2015, 13:56

I have installed RAM Disc on my windows 10 upgraded laptop. When i try and mount a disc image, I get blue screen and the error code "memory management".

I have tried setting the program to run as an administrator and in compatibility mode, with no success. It still blue screens. Any suggestions to try and fix this or do i need to wait for SoftPerfect to release a Win 10 compatible version?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Windows 10 crash   31 July 2015, 14:56

It's a known issue, please wait until we update the RAM Disk software to be compatible with Windows 10.
Anaconda

Re: Windows 10 crash   01 August 2015, 03:48

It had been working flawlessly for me during the tech preview, but now it also crashes sometimes when it first opens after I log on to my Windows 10 account. It doesn't give me a blue screen though. I just need to kill the process and start it again.
Lefebvre Alexandre

Re: Windows 10 crash   02 August 2015, 18:06

Well when RAMdisk will be available smile
I can't wait for windows 10 compatible !!
thank you guys !
Jose Hidalgo

Re: Windows 10 crash   03 August 2015, 09:33

I second this. When will RAM Disk be available for Windows 10 ? smile

Windows 10 is out now for everybody, but the tech previews have been available for a long time, so I guess it would have been possible to update RAM Disk, make it compatible, and release it at the same time as Windows 10. Am I wrong ?

Anyway, a release date (even estimated) would be highly appreciated, since I have some investments that depend on that release date.

Thanks for your understanding & best regards. smile
P00r

Re: Windows 10 crash   04 August 2015, 07:50

Relax! This is offered for free so I do not think the developer own us any release date! thinking It's already a great new that they commit to provide a new version.

I have resetting directories but no blue-screen whatsoever...

I had placed the suggested fix from another thread, but it somehow came back So I have done it again let's hope it stick...

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SPVVEngine\Options\Auto\R: where R: is the drive letter, locate MountFlags. The value will be XXXX X1XX, just replace 1 with 0, for example 10C should be replaced with 00C, then reboot and the issue should be gone.
Josh

Re: Windows 10 crash   04 August 2015, 17:07

Jose Hidalgo

Windows 10 is out now for everybody, but the tech previews have been available for a long time, so I guess it would have been possible to update RAM Disk, make it compatible, and release it at the same time as Windows 10. Am I wrong ?

The main problem is that Microsoft have tweaked, changed and ruined quite a few things between releasing the preview and the final piece of crap Windows 10.
Another thing to remember is that RAM Disk is free, and I reckon that for a freebie this software is very good quality.

Re: Windows 10 crash   04 August 2015, 22:25

@P00r : I'm completely relaxed, thanks. laugh

Of course the developer doesn't "own us" any release date, but I'm sure he can always give us an estimate.
He can say if he expects the new release to be ready within a day, a week, a month, a year, etc..

An estimate is not a commitment, so that is not difficult to say. smile
Josh

Re: Windows 10 crash   05 August 2015, 09:39

@jose hidalgo
Perhaps the guys at Softperfect prefer not to make any announcement unless they know they can commit to it? wink

Sure there are people out there who are prepared to say any sort of bullshit just to buy themselves time, tame their customers or give some temporary hopes to their users.
And there are also people who keep their word and promise only what they can deliver.
I personally prefer the latter. I like honesty, truth, quality and reliability. That's why I happy to defend Softperfect. They are a "no bullshit" company. ok, yes, thumb up

Re: Windows 10 crash   05 August 2015, 15:53

Guys, I have both good and bad news.

The bad news is the core developer of the RAM Disk product has recently left the company for personal/family reasons.

The good news is he made a promise to fix the outstanding issues with the product and Windows 10 as soon as it is possible in his situation. Unfortunately I am not able to provide a release date at this stage, but I hope we are looking at a few weeks from now.
Pavel

Re: Windows 10 crash   05 August 2015, 17:23

First of all I'd like to thank you for this product. I'm using it about 2 years and it works flawlessly. This is really great job!
But after upgrading to windows 10 I'm experiencing following problem: at windows boot ram disk mounts, but doesn't create folder for temp files. If i remount it when windows has fully started it mounts and creates folders.. Can this be fixed please? smile

Re: Windows 10 crash   06 August 2015, 03:34

Thanks Andrew. smile Like you said, that's bad news and good news.

I hope you'll find another core developer. RAM Disk is an awesome product and it deserves to remain actively developed !
P00r

Re: Windows 10 crash   06 August 2015, 14:24

The FIX FOR MISSING FOLDER AT BOOT listed 3 post above worke for me!

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SPVVEngine\Options\Auto\R: where R: is the drive letter, locate MountFlags. The value will be XXXX X1XX, just replace 1 with 0, for example 10C should be replaced with 00C, then reboot and the issue should be gone.
Kreon

Re: Windows 10 crash   17 August 2015, 03:25

Fair enough Andrew.
Good luck to the core developer of the RAM Disk product. BUT life goes on, I'm sorry.

-----------

Does any one know any good replacemant for RAM Disk?

Re: Windows 10 crash   31 August 2015, 06:08

It works for me with windows 10 enterprise, not a preview.

Re: Windows 10 crash   31 August 2015, 21:14

Yes a very good one.
Run your entire system in RAM with firadisk.
32GB is enough for windows 10.
theDEXmonster

Re: Windows 10 crash   18 September 2015, 12:49

Temporary Solution:
I am currently using 3.4.6 on Windows 10 x64, I have 2 Boot Time disks, 1 saves to an image(4GB) and the other is volatile(8GB).
As the first post says, you cannot create and mount an image using the "Mount Image" option because you will get the BSOD. The alternative is to Create your image and then use the "Add Disk" option. The results are the same and it is Windows 10 compatible smile
mark fraunhofer

Re: Windows 10 crash   18 September 2015, 21:29

I have exact same setup on 32GB system with windows 10, I also am using the 'volatile' disk for swap file in addition to all temporary stuff as well as main scratch disk for Davinci Resolve, which is actually installed and running from the 'permanent' ramdisk, which slightly improves it's operations and rendering speeds. I've seen swap file error messages after upgrading to windows 10 a few times but they stopped and my swap file is exactly as I want it on the 'volatile' ramdisk without any errors or problems and when I render files in Davinci Resolve we are talking about 12 hours or longer jobs and I never have an issue.
mark fraunhofer

Re: Windows 10 crash   18 September 2015, 23:16

One feature that I would really appreciate would be to have multiple versions of ramdisk image file, for example I would like to be able to set number of saved images, let's say to 3, this way if latest one is corrupted(which never happened yet) I could fall back on a previous version of the 'permanent' ramdisk image file

Re: Windows 10 crash   07 October 2015, 06:39

I support mark's feature request, which would solve a big potential issue with RAM Disk. Unfortunately it's unlikely that it will be developed since product development is stopping.

BTW, the last RAM Disk version with Windows 10 compatibility is around the corner... but we're still waiting for it ! Andrew !! laugh
Louis

Windows 10   25 October 2015, 05:31

I will pay again if I have to. I love this software. I encourage all to support/donate as well.

Re: Windows 10 crash   29 October 2015, 18:23

A new version is out, now Windows 10 compatible! Please report here if there are any issues with it.
Jean-Simon

Re: Windows 10 crash   30 October 2015, 19:50

So far so good with 3.4.7 64-bit on Windows 10. I am really happy that you managed to fix the folders not being created and crashing issues. This convinced me to make a small donation!

For other people upgrading from 3.4.6 to 3.4.7 to fix the Windows 10 issues, I recommend disabling the app from starting with Windows, reboot and only then try to uninstall. Otherwise, the uninstall process risks crashing when trying to unmount an active drive and it becomes a PITA to clean the mess!

Softperfect is by far the best ram disk software IMO. It has a great interface and it's one of the fastest!

Thanks to the developpers and keep up the good work!
Andrea

Re: Windows 10 crash   03 November 2015, 19:33

Ntfs ram disks seem to work only with hard disk emulation (slower). Is this normal?

Regards,
Andrea

Re: Windows 10 crash   03 November 2015, 20:44

No, it's not. Please provide more details for a helpful advice.
Andrea

Re: Windows 10 crash   04 November 2015, 19:20

I installed Softperfect RamDisk 3.4.7 64-bit on Windows 10 64-bit.

Selected Disk->Add, size 512mb, drive T, file system ntfs; disk was created and mounted, but when I try to access it from Windows Explorer I get "T:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function.".
With fat/fat32 it works; with ntfs and hard disk emulation it works.

Regards,
Andrea

Re: Windows 10 crash   04 November 2015, 20:42

That's strange, it's not reproducible on a clean install of Windows 10. My best guess there's another disk driver that doesn't like an NTFS drive being on a volume without partitions, so I recommend to either use FAT32 or the hard disk emulation option.

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.