Possible leak: Disk usage not matching the sum of files usage

Started by jackolantern

jackolantern

Possible leak: Disk usage not matching the sum of files usage   16 September 2015, 02:14

Is anyone else experiencing what seems to be a leak?

In short, I've allocated a 8GB RAM disk which serves as the output directory for temporary files. There are ~40,000 files in ~4,500 folders in this RAM disk, amounting to about 724MB worth of data (actual size on disk being 682MB). However, when I right click on the RAM Disk and look at the disk usage, it claims that there is 75% (~6GB) of the disk that is in use! This is annoying because the disk usage trumps the actual amount of space being used and thus, my build process abends thinking that there is no more space on the device.

How can that be? Is this a known bug?

I'm using version 3.4.6 64-bit.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Possible leak: Disk usage not matching the sum of files usage   16 September 2015, 10:16

There can be several reasons for that. It's not a bug, please see this link for a list of the reasons.
Wow... You are most definitely right. I recreated my RAM Disk with FAT32, and now the disk usage is much more in line with the actual size of the files. I never thought that NTFS had so much overhead. Lesson learned cool

Thanks for the quick answer!

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.