Have a RAMDisk to not mount on boot or login

Started by thehubi

Have a RAMDisk to not mount on boot or login   12 November 2015, 19:30

First of all, your software is amazing. I'm considering buying the commercial license just because I like the program. But anyway.

Is there any way to NOT mount a RAMDisk automatically?
Or do I have to delete and re-create the RAMDisk all the time using the same backup file?

I see two options for creating RAMDisks:
1) Mount at boot
2) Mount at login

Neither are options I prefer. Maybe noone has thought of this yet, however I want to have two RAMDisks (I have 32GB of RAM), each disk 16GB in size, one is for files and other executables while the other is dedicated to games. The games RAMDisk should NOT be mounted automatically, so only 16GB of RAM get used by the program.
I haven't tested it yet, but I know the program should be unable to mount both disks at the same time. Is there a solution to this? I haven't found any options for a Non-Automount-Drive yet.

Re: Have a RAMDisk to not mount on boot or login   12 November 2015, 19:34

Found this thread: Auto-mounting incorrectly on load

This covers my question, doesn't it?
Could there maybe be a button in a future version that gives you the ability to not auto-mount a drive?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Have a RAMDisk to not mount on boot or login   12 November 2015, 19:40

Just create one or more RAM Disks mounted at login and unmount them manually. Don't delete any disks, just unmount them.

The software remembers the last disk state between sessions and you shut down the system with the disks not mounted, they also will not be mounted after restart.

Re: Have a RAMDisk to not mount on boot or login   12 November 2015, 20:01

I'm going to try this, however it would really be nice if this was actually visible inside the program. That way less people would also come here asking about the same issue.
Anyway. 32GB is as high as I can go in a 1150-based system. I'll play around a bit more with the program and as I said previously, you have my support.

Re: Have a RAMDisk to not mount on boot or login   15 November 2015, 07:17

Gutta be honest with you. Have been using RAMDisk a LOT in the last couple days and.. the things you said don't actually work. Whenever I reboot my computer, I get an error saying it could not mount one of the two disk, both being 16GB in size and therefore unable to sit in my RAM at the same time. RAMDisk will NOT remember if I unmounted the disks before boot. It will literally just do what's written inside the GUI. If Mount at boot is selected, it WILL mount at boot. Always. And if Mount at login is selected it also WILL mount at login. So you'll basically always have two active RAMDisks even though you don't intend to have them. This is misinformation.

I'm gonna buy the software and see if that changes anything, but at this point it's highly unlikely.
Don't get me wrong, the performance is great. But I just don't like misinformation in general.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Have a RAMDisk to not mount on boot or login   15 November 2015, 19:07

Perhaps you are doing something incorrectly. I have recorded a video, where I create a logon time disk, unmount it and it after a reboot it's still unmounted.

P.S. Unless you are a company, you don't need to buy it. The purchase merely lets you use it in a business environment with all the functionality being the same.
chaos

Re: Have a RAMDisk to not mount on boot or login   16 November 2015, 01:17

Hello!

In my experience, you should try to wait for 15 seconds before signing in windows. Maybe the problem due to the too fast start up by UEFI of windows.

Good luck

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.