SoftPerfect RAM Disk

How to read .img file to extract files and folders

Started by devouk

devouk

How to read .img file to extract files and folders   22 January 2016, 07:34

I finally had my first fail of an img after restarting the computer today, after about a month on no issues i thought things worked perfectly

I did create a new image of a larger size over the last week and copied data to and from, but had got a little bit reliant on everything working so well.

Today has been trying to read up to find a way of browsing the .img but cant find anything so far. Is says the header is corrupt ? I only need a couple of files of sub-directory off it which were being altered before it happened. All i did find was a hex editor which can read the file and whilst browsing I can see some similar data (was a development wordpress site, running on a portable server, so a lot of files are text and you can see the html, txt, data.

Set up was image file, save content to image, and saving the content every 5 minutes.

Is there anything I can do? or is just live and learn and don't put the portable server on the ramdisk?

Any help would be appreciative
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to read .img file to extract files and folders   22 January 2016, 11:13

Try a third-party disk mount utility that supports entering an offset, like OSFMount, in which you need to enter the offset of 4096 bytes to the data when mounting the image file. An image file is essentially a 4K header followed by raw disk data.

If OSFMount cannot mount the image at the 4096 bytes offset, I am afraid the file system and data may be damaged beyond repair.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.