Write to file error

Started by d88413243

Write to file error   07 May 2016, 01:09

Hi,

SoftPerfect RAM Disk is great, but I encounter a problem. After last time windows update, some software can't write to RAM Disk. (1.jpg)
I had CHKDSK RAM Disk and do not find any problem. I try to re-install windows-x64 again and found some signs.

(1) Before windows update, it will not has this problem. Maybe one of 2016/April windows update cause this issue.
(2) If you don't use "Hard disk Emulation", you will not encounter this problem.

Please help to check this problem.
Thanks.
Attachments:
open | download – 1.jpg (75.6 KB)
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Write to file error   07 May 2016, 01:17

Is that a volatile RAM Disk or a persistent one with a on-disk image attached to it?

Re: Write to file error   07 May 2016, 14:52

It's volatile RAM Disk.

Re: Write to file error   07 May 2016, 15:34

I'm afraid that's too hard to reproduce, sorry.

Basically what you are saying is this Windows update seemingly broke something that FlashGet can't write to the RAM Disk and only when Hard Disk emulation is on. It could be virtually anything and before spending hours trying to reproduce and debug the issue, let's wait and see if anyone else encounters a similar issue.

Re: Write to file error   13 May 2016, 22:52

Update information.
After I remove these windows update, the issue was gone.
KB3092627
KB3102429
KB3107998
KB3118401
KB3121255
KB3123862
KB3126446
KB3133977
KB3137061
KB3138378
KB3138901
KB3139923
KB3140245

I update one by one, found KB3137061 will cause "Write to file error" issue.
Not only FlashGet but also Chrome. If you save chrome profile to RAM Disk, history and some Extensions will abnormal.
Can you help me to check it?
Thanks.

Re: Write to file error   14 May 2016, 09:57

Apparently it has something to do with the SCSI synchronize cache command sent down to the RAM Disk's driver. What OS is that on?

It may take us a while to figure out what's happening there. I suggest you don't install this update in the meantime or don't use the Hard Disk Emulation feature.

Re: Write to file error   14 May 2016, 18:48

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
Thanks.

Re: Write to file error   16 May 2016, 15:40

I have tested the software with a RAM disk with HDD emulation enabled on a Windows 7 x64 system with KB3137061 installed. Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce this bug as all reading and writing to the disk completed successfully.

It might be a conflict with some other third-party software or drivers. At this stage there is nothing we can do about it, so I still recommend not to install KB3137061 or not to use the HDD emulation mode.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.