How to install a new version replacing an older version

Started by radish

How to install a new version replacing an older version   24 May 2016, 18:58

Hi,

I downloaded the latest version of the SoftPerfect RAMdisk. I already have an old version installed so the new version will replace the old version. My question is when I want to upgrade to the new version what do I have to do:

(1) Uninstall the old version first, then install the new version?
(2) Just install the new version over the top of the old version? Also, if this is how to do it, is it necessary to delete/unmount already existing ramdisks before doing the install of the new version?

I would like to add that I think this kind of thing should be included in the user manual. Seems to me a fairly common failure of software developers (not just SoftPerfect) that they rarely give details on what to do if you are just upgrading an installation with a new installation. So could I please ask that this kind of information is added to the user manual, that would help others in the future.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to install a new version replacing an older version   24 May 2016, 22:24

Most software applications are okay with just installing a newer version over, and so are most of our software products.

That is not the case with the RAM Disk though, because there is a tricky driver installation routine. If you attempt to install a new version over an old one, it will tell you what to do:

SoftPerfect support forum

Re: How to install a new version replacing an older version   25 May 2016, 19:06

Okay Andrew, thanks very much for the quick response. I had one issue with the instructions, "Backup your configuration to a XML file."

Am I correct in thinking the following:
(1) To create such an XML file from the ramdisk control window go (Menu) File > Export Disks and save off an XML file via that routine.
(2) Once the the new version of the ramdisk is installed, go File > Import Disks, import the previously saved XML file, and this will restore the setup for ramdisks being used with the old version.

(Really this seems fairly obvious but the information would be best stated here to help others in the future if they are not certain on this point.)
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to install a new version replacing an older version   25 May 2016, 19:20

Yes, that's correct. File > Export Disks will produce a XML file describing the disks you have, while File > Import Disks will restore the disks from the file when you installed a new version.

We realise it is not as convenient as a simple installation over an older version, but it is this way because the driver's installation procedure is a little tricky.

Re: How to install a new version replacing an older version   25 May 2016, 19:31

Okay, thanks for the quick response, Andrew. Think this kind of information would make for a good 'chapter' in the user manual.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.