How to clear the cache, if it needs to be cleared

Started by mick

Hi. I'm new to this. How do I or do I need to clear the RAM cache after unmounting a drive?
When I look at my memory composition in task manager its says 3.5 in use 5.4 in standby and 7.3 as free.
I mounted a 5gb drive then unmounted. Why does it say 18gb committed when I only have 16gb and why is cache as 5.4 gb?
pic of task manager
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to clear the cache, if it needs to be cleared   10 June 2016, 00:23

You don't need to clear any RAM cache. After dismounting a RAM disk all memory is returned to the OS.

As to 18 GB RAM committed while you only have 16 GB, it's RAM + pagefile. Unfortunately I am not aware why Windows 8/10 manages it this way.
Ok, thanks.
HelperGuy

Re: How to clear the cache, if it needs to be cleared   01 September 2016, 22:50

I was getting this problem too. Sometimes I would temporarily use a 26Gb ramdisk on my 32Gb system. When I was done my special processing task, I would try to unmount and resize the disk back to the its original smaller size. This would always fail and the 26Gb of memory would never get freed. I'd have to reboot to setup up a new smaller size for the ramdisk.

This appears to have been some sort of bug in the Windows 10 memory manager and not with the RamDisk software. After installing the Aug 31 cumulative update to the 1607 version of Windows 10, my problems are solved. I can now resize my ramdisk from 26Gb back down to its normal 3Gb without rebooting now.

And just want to thank the Ramdisk developers. This is a wonderful tool.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to clear the cache, if it needs to be cleared   01 September 2016, 23:01

Thank you for your feedback. It's good to know it was a Windows issue that is now solved smile

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.