What happens if RAMdisc fails

Started by Les

Les

What happens if RAMdisc fails   30 June 2016, 01:17

Good Afternoon (for me),
I was hoping some of you good people could answer the following question.
I've followed instructions and changed the Windows temporary folder to Ramdisc, about 40Mb seemed OK until I tried to install something, so I increased the Ramdisc size and all was OK.
But my question is this, the Ramdisc option changes the Windows folder, so what happens to the boot and normal running of my laptop if Ramdisc breaks or I need to uninstall it and the Ramdisc folder isn't there! The same question applies to Firefox, if I follow the instructions to point Firefox at the Ramdisc.
So (a subsidiary question) how would I get into Windows (presumably in Safe Mode/W8) to change the temporary folder back?

Regards
Les
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: What happens if RAMdisc fails   30 June 2016, 03:09

If the RAM Disk breaks or the software is deleted, it would the same if the %TEMP% variable pointed to a non-existent path. This means many programs, as well as software installers may fail. Likewise, a browser set to use a cache folder that doesn't exist may fail.

You should revert the %TEMP% variable to the system's default before removing the RAM Disk app. If the app was already uninstalled, here is how to do it manually.
Les

Re: What happens if RAMdisc fails   30 June 2016, 06:17

Andrew, Thanks for the info, you explained my question much more coherently than I did. But you did leave unanswered one aspect.
Would Windows (8 in my case) actually boot without the ramdisc it is pointing to, so I could then affect the manual changes? Or would I have a problem on my hands?

Regards
Les
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: What happens if RAMdisc fails   30 June 2016, 11:11

It will boot as Windows itself doesn't use the per-user %TEMP% setting. You should be able to access the desktop and system settings.
Les

Re: What happens if RAMdisc fails   01 July 2016, 18:40

Andrew
Thank you for your quick and clear answers. The two part of your answer resolve my problem exactly.
I've had Networx for some time when I experienced a driver failure. I was returning to this site to resolve the problem I noticed Ramdisc and decided to give it a go. I then immediately recalled what had brought me to this site and realised the potential consequences.
So all-in-all, a Ramdisc failure is an inconvenience and in no way a disaster.

Thank You again
Les

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.