Storing Windows 10 temp files in RAMdisk

Started by slithereenguard

Storing Windows 10 temp files in RAMdisk   21 July 2016, 16:27

hi
i want to store windows 10 OS temp files/folders in ramdisk. i will be creating a persistent ramdisk which will be loaded at boot up.
is it a good idea? how much RAM should i dedicate to this?
My installed RAM size 16 GB
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Storing Windows 10 temp files in RAMdisk   21 July 2016, 16:31

It depends on what you do and how much RAM your regular apps use. I have a 4 GB RAM Disk for this purpose on a PC with 16 GB RAM.
Michael

Re: Storing Windows 10 temp files in RAMdisk   08 September 2016, 03:37

Storing Temp files from Win10 is not a problem, I use a 3 GB RamDisk for this (from 12GB RAM avail). But since the Anniversary Update (winver 1607), there seems to be something changed in the system routines. You should have UNCHECKEDexclamation the option "Hard Drive Emulation". With this option enabled I found out, that MS Office will fail to write files in the RamDisk and OpenOffice/LibreOffice will fail writing any files everywhere, because it cannot write to the temp folder (it creates a backup file there) for a reason I cannot understand since normal file operations in such a RamDisk are no problem. If you disable the Emulation, everything is fine.
Christopher

Re: Storing Windows 10 temp files in RAMdisk   26 September 2016, 06:49

Wondering whether the option to turn off hard drive emulation results in byte-addressing RAM rather than emulating a block device. As Windows 10 also supports byte-level addressing for IMC-connected persistent memory devices (e.g. NVDIMM, 3D Xpoint and the like), less layering or avoiding protocols emulation would normally result in better performance.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Storing Windows 10 temp files in RAMdisk   26 September 2016, 09:27

Hard drive emulation adds another layer that emulates a regular hard disk drive, with cylinders, heads, sectors and partitions. Other than that, the data is stored in the same way and any difference in performance is rather small (less than 5% in tests).

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.