When saving an image, does it append or replace the data?

Started by thedexmonster

thedexmonster

When saving an image, does it append or replace the data?   20 August 2016, 16:52

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of a less volatile setup. I need to know how much data will actually be written to the hard drive every (n) minutes if the image file is 1GB, but for instance: only held 2kb of data, or had 1 file of 2kb added to it since it was last saved?

Appending would only copy the difference between the two states, making it perfectly reasonable to write a large image to disk very frequently if it was expected to only have small changes. That would be awesome! I'd be willing to use double the hard drive space to make it possible if it's not already.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: When saving an image, does it append or replace the data?   20 August 2016, 17:21

The entire RAM Disk's space is divided into 2 MB pages and only changed pages are written. Say, if you had a 1 GB RAM disk and wrote ~1 MB of data in it, about 2 MB would be written to the file.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.