Avast causes problems by delaying RAM disk mounting

Started by SlaX

Hi
I used SoftPerfect free RamDisk for years. I usually redirect there the temp files of my browsers (IE and FF). Moreover, on the machines with more than 4GB of RAM and 32-bit Windows I set the swapfile in the RAMdisk that uses the unaddressable memory space. This is my cheat to give the system more RAM instead of slow paging on HDD.
Unfortunately I face the problem recently after an update of AVAST because my RAMdisk does not start soon enough to host the swapfile. The process of getting the RAMdisk ready is delayed since the AVAST resident part is located at first and it takes remarkable time.

I wonder if there is any method to reorder the start processes (Windows 8.1), or any workaround. For now I gave up with the RAMdisk swap file, but I feel I lost some performance.

Greetz,
S.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Avast causes problems by delaying RAM disk mounting   29 October 2016, 10:24

Are you sure you are using our RAM Disk (not some other vendor's) ? Our RAM Disk can't use unmanaged address space or more than ~3 GB on a 32-bit OS.

Other than that, it depends on what you want to reorder. If it's boot time drivers, it's a rather complex topic and changing that may render the system unusable. I am not aware of any way to make the RAM Disk start earlier than it does now, you may want to contact Avast to see if there is any way to make their product start later.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.