What can I store on my RAMdisk?

Started by adz

adz

What can I store on my RAMdisk?   22 December 2016, 22:25

Good day,

I want to know what I can store on RAM Disk besides storing browser caches. I want some ideas on what I can store. Please list in your post.

Cheers!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: What can I store on my RAMdisk?   23 December 2016, 09:44

It really depends on what you do, but generally anything that's temporary in nature. We use it for the following:
  • Windows TEMP/TMP variables. This is a location where Windows stores temporary files. Setting TEMP/TMP to use a RAM Disk generally improves system performance.
  • Compiler intermediary output. When compiling programs, there is a bunch of temporary files created that don't need to be kept.
  • When testing software in VMs, we use a RAM Disk to store differencing disk images as any changes to VMs need to be discarded.
adz

Re: What can I store on my RAMdisk?   23 December 2016, 18:06

Thanks for the reply. I just use my PC for browsing, gaming, installing, downloading, opening big programs. I can't find anything useful to add in my drives. My rig is only 3GB ram and i have 1gb ramdrive with browser caches and windows temp. Can't think or find anything that i can add into my ramdrives to speed up my system. i hear about pagefiles but my pagefile is too big to go in my ramdrive.

1. Already did.
2. nope.
3. nope.

Re: What can I store on my RAMdisk?   23 December 2016, 19:09

Ah, 3 GB RAM isn't much indeed. Although you use a RAM Disk for browser caches, depriving the system of 1 GB of RAM may offset the performance gain that a RAM disk provides. In this case I wouldn't recommend to use a RAM disk at all.
adz

Re: What can I store on my RAMdisk?   23 December 2016, 22:25

I am gaining small performance boost.

Is an SSD with 218.9/MBs R /51.91 MB/s W be good for L2 cache?

Re: What can I store on my RAMdisk?   24 December 2016, 11:34

I am not sure what you mean by L2 cache? It's usually a motherboard chip, and not really related to disk operations.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.