Putting page file on a RamDisk with HDD emulation

Started by Amal

Hi,

I am using RAM Disk 3.4.7 on Windows 7 64bit with 3Gb RAM. I was getting random crashes after I set it up on my PC recently. Till I used the system without RAM Disk it seemed to be ok. I have setup a initial 200Mb Page file to be created on this R:\ drive extendable to 800Mb. The page file used to get created on R drive. I searched your forums to find if the reason for my crashes is the RAM Disk and found a post saying that using in "Hard Disk Emulation" will remove the crashes. The issue I am facing is that the moment I switched ON that option the page file is not getting created on the RAM Disk.

I had remove the page file from C drive and was planning to only use the RAM Disk page file but I get the message your other users reported "Windows has made a temporary page file ...". Windows creates a page file on C drive as the page file on RAM Disk is not created. I think the issue is "H" flag - "Hard Disk Emulation" mode. Kindly let me know the solution.

Thanks
Amal
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Putting page file on a RamDisk with HDD emulation   02 June 2017, 10:13

While it's true that the HDD emulation may fix some crashes, namely when third-party drivers don't expect to encounter a standalone volume without partitions, it's not related to a page file.

Unfortunately storing page file on a RAM disk isn't officially supported and it's generally a bad idea. If you have enough RAM, simply turn off the page file - it's not needed.

As you may know, the idea of page file is to swap out memory pages from RAM to a file when more space is required. In other words, a page file can be seen as a resource's (memory) extension. By placing a page file back into memory, you would attempt to extend the resource using the resource itself - there is no benefit in doing so. A more detailed explanation can be found here.
Thanks for your prompt reply but as @Jeff wrote in the other post about page file on RAM Disk, there are many compelling reasons to have a page file on RAM Disk rather than giving the RAM to OS itself. Primary being the OS wants a page file even if there is enough RAM - if I give all the RAM to OS I can still see it writing to C:\pagefile.sys in Win7 "Resource monitor" which is absurd. It was not only a problem with XP etc, I see this in Windows 7 also. I also find it very useful for keeping temporary databases, cache's etc especially when using a SSD. It loads SSD less.

I have read the article you mentioned and many more articles but I hope you understand that if Win7 was doing its job then I wouldn't need a page file. I thought you could find a solution if you can recreate the problem in your lab. See if you can recreate the issue as I have given you the specific scenario and suggest a solution. The page file does get created if I switch Off "Hardware Emulation" but it makes Windows 7 unstable. Can you think of what software could be interfering - I use Avast Anti Virus, was using AVG earlier. If you want more info to find which software is interfering with your product then I can provide but it would help if you can identify & rectify the issue.

Thanks
Amal

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.