How to create RAMDisk to auto-load with folders every boot

Started by niagarasys

How to create RAMDisk to auto-load with folders every boot   05 September 2017, 04:22

I just purchased the software and I'm a bit frustrated with the interface as it's far less intuitive than something like Dataram RAMDisk / ATI RAMDisk, and may not even offer the capability I purchased it for.

Here's how I'm using Dataram's Ramdisk:
- create RAM drive
- pre-create folders like X:\Users\myname\Temp, X:\Users\myname\Temporary Internet Files, X:\Temp, etc.
- save RAMDisk.IMG
- set RAMDisk.IMG to load at every boot the original saved version, never re-saved
done.

Basically I want my RAM disk with all folders newly created at the start of every boot. Upon trying to create a save-able RAM disk with this software, it doesn't appear in the list of drives even though it's mounted and as such I seem to be able to do very little with this drive outside of create a blank drive.

Is it not possible to complete a one-time save of a predefined RAM disk configuration like you can with other software that costs significantly less?

I also don't understand why a drive that's mounted is not displayed in the interface of the software.

Re: How to create RAMDisk to auto-load with folders every boot   05 September 2017, 04:26

This is what I'm seeing now:
Attachments:
open | download – doesnt make sense.png (35.9 KB)
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to create RAMDisk to auto-load with folders every boot   05 September 2017, 12:26

The RAM Disk app uses two different concepts:
  1. A disk image file, or simply image, is a regular file containing the contents and structure of a RAM disk. These can be created and mounted to a drive letter to see and modify their contents (that's what you did). This functionality sits under the Image item in the main menu.
  2. A RAM disk, is an in-memory drive, which can be created blank or associated with an image file. The latter allows you to populate a RAM disk with your contents on startup and optionally save any changes back on shutdown. This functionality sits under the Disk item in the main menu.
What you did was basically creating and mounting an image, which is not a RAM disk. That's why nothing was shown in the main view.

As to configuring it the way you want, sure it's possible to have the pre-defined folders and there are two ways to do so:

Method 1

Create a blank RAM disk as described in this article. In this case you need to leave the Image File Name field blank. Then you can choose a file system and have folders automatically created upon initialisation.

The advantage of this method is it's faster and doesn't require an on-disk image. The disadvantage is that nested folders are not supported, but you can create something like X:\Users-YourName-Temp, X:\Users-YourName-Temporary Internet Files, and X:\Temp.

Method 2

Create an image file, mount it to a drive letter, create the necessary folders, unmount the image. Then create a RAM disk and specify the file name in the Image File Name field. See this page for more details.

The advantage of this method is that you can create complex folder structures, add files and set permissions. The disadvantage is that it takes longer to load the image, which needs to be kept on the hard drive.

Re: How to create RAMDisk to auto-load with folders every boot   10 September 2017, 00:37

Andrew

Then you can choose a file system and have folders automatically created upon initialisation.

This would be my preferred solution but the inability to create nested folders renders this feature useless for me.

Andrew

Create an image file, mount it to a drive letter, create the necessary folders, unmount the image. Then create a RAM disk and specify the file name in the Image File Name field

I believe I was successful in doing this after a few tries... Well, I must be since I have 1 RAM disk mounted for 12GB. I feel I'm a moderately intelligent person but I did not find the process intuitive.

Thanks for the response!

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.