Cannot shutdown Windows 10: computer restarts on shutdown

Started by Roger

As per title, I cannot shut down my windows 10 on Lenovo Carbon X5 after upgrading from 4.0.4 to 4.0.5. It becomes restart.

Can you resolve? Where can I get old version back?

Thank you.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Cannot shutdown Windows 10: computer restarts on shutdown   30 March 2018, 18:54

What probably happens is that Windows crashes on shutdown, and because Windows is configured to restart on crash, it appears like it's restarting instead. Otherwise I am afraid we cannot reproduce this problem.

If there is a minidump created by the system in C:\Windows\Minidump, we'd love to take a look at it. However, most likely this issue has nothing to do with you updating to version 4.0.5.
I think the issue might be caused by Windows temp directory.

I used to create a RAM disk and point my Windows and user temp paths to it. It worked well in previous version, but not 4.0.5. Now I changed the temp path to default and that solved the restart problem. What's in 4.0.5 that could have caused the problem? (I did not find minidump)

Re: Cannot shutdown Windows 10: computer restarts on shutdown   02 April 2018, 15:05

That's the thing: the only changes were in optimising memory allocation and zero-filling to complete faster.

What happens if you only set user %TEMP% to be on a RAM disk, but not the system one?
I set only USER variable to RAM disk and the situation happens again.
I lose the purpose of using RAM disk. Can you fix it in the new version?

Re: Cannot shutdown Windows 10: computer restarts on shutdown   04 April 2018, 19:14

I am afraid we have no idea why this happens in your case. The only changes were two optimisations related to memory allocation and there isn't any reasonable connection with temporary folders. We can't reproduce it on a test system either, which shuts down normally.

It's possible that the upgrade coincided with some other change on your system. Could you perhaps revert to 4.0.4 and let me know if that fixes the problem? If there is indeed a problem in the RAM Disk, we would love to find out the cause and fix it.
I reverted to 4.0.4 and set both USER and SYSTEM paths to ramdisk. It works fine again.
I will stay with that but still hope you could figure out what's affected and fix in the next version.

Re: Cannot shutdown Windows 10: computer restarts on shutdown   09 April 2018, 19:48

Hmm, that's indeed strange. Could you please tell the exact configuration of RAM disk being used, i.e. logon or boot-time, removable or not, file system, compression?

A screen shot of the main RAM Disk app window would suffice.

Re: Cannot shutdown Windows 10: computer restarts on shutdown   12 April 2018, 12:05

@Roger:Try turning off Fast Startup (everyone should disable this anyhow, but it will probably fix your problem): https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

--

I have this issue right now on a fairly fresh install of Windows 10 but I also had it prior to installing Softperfect RAM Disk. My temporary files are following the user profile path %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp so I don't think it's that. I haven't spent any time investigating further but I didn't have the issue until the most recent batch of Windows updates.

Also, it went away after I fixed some broken apps (I relocated Program Files to another drive and junctioned them to C: drive) but then it came back a few hours ago. Yours might be intermittent like mine.

Re: Cannot shutdown Windows 10: computer restarts on shutdown   12 April 2018, 15:01

Totally agree regarding the fast startup. It leads to a few undesirable effects with RAM disks and we recommend to turn it off.
@niagarasys
Thanks for your suggestion. I upgraded to 4.0.6 and also turned off fast startup. The issue I had in 4.0.5 disappeared. Not sure whether fast startup or 4.0.6 helps but I just don't want try 4.0.5.
Roger

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.