SoftPerfect RAM Disk

Usable memory in Windows is not released after uninstalling the program

Started by Takahiro

I decided to uninstall RAM disk utility when the trial period ended. I have uninstalled it, but the memory was not released.

I had a 2 GB RAM disk. The image below shows 2 GB are still locked (9.85 GB is available out of 12.0 GB):
SoftPerfect support forum

Please tell me how I should be uninstalling the application correctly to free the memory.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Usable memory in Windows was not released after uninstalling the program   31 May 2018, 13:10

It is caused by something other than a RAM disk I am afraid. Below is a screenshot from my computer where you can see that even having a 4 GB RAM disk in place does not reduce usable memory. The fact that the volume of unusable memory on your computer is similar to the size of the RAM disk you used to have, is just a coincidence.

If Windows shows some memory as unusable, it is usually reserved by the system for some hardware. The most common example is an integrated video card that uses some of the RAM for itself.

Please see the Usable memory may be less than the installed memory on Windows 7-based computers article from Microsoft that explains why it can happen and what to do about it.

SoftPerfect support forum

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.