Slow RAM disk on a new gaming laptop

Started by Nuit

Nuit

Slow RAM disk on a new gaming laptop   17 August 2018, 16:53

Hello, I'm a licensed Ramdisk user. I just setup a 2GB Logical Image Boot Drive on a Win10 v1803 laptop i7 Gen 8 CPU with 32GB RAM.

Typically, on other PC's, I get more than 8000 Mb Sequential Read and Write as measured by CrystalDiskMark v6.0.1. However, I'm only seeing 2200 R/W on this laptop. In fact, the m.2 in the laptop shows faster speed than the Ramdisk.

Any suggestions?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Slow RAM disk on a new gaming laptop   17 August 2018, 16:56

There could be two reasons why your speeds are low:
  • There may be another disk filter driver or file filter driver that inspects everything written to and read from every disk. Usually this comes in a form of a Internet security product or antivirus, either of which can have a significant impact on performance.
  • There may be a hardware issue with the memory itself and its timings configuration.

A good point to start the investigation would be to install any other RAM disk product and compare the performance.
Thanks for your reply.

Turns out my computer, which has fancy gaming power settings, was set to the lowest power & lowest speed configuration. I have changed it to use all the cylinders and now get 8000 MB Seq Read and Write!! Yeah!

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.