Saving RAM disk image: whole disk or only the changes?

Started by Jo

Hello,

I have a short question relating RAM Disk software: if I choose the option for saving RAM Disk Image, before shutdown will the whole size of the RAM Disk Image be saved/written or only the differences between changed data size?

For example: I have 1GB RAM Disk Image and change 100KB of data. Which volume of data would be written to the HDD/SSD where the Image is stored?

Thank you for information.

Kind regards
Jo
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Saving RAM disk image: whole disk or only the changes?   21 August 2018, 11:11

In SoftPerfect RAM Disk we use differential writing: the data is stored in blocks of 2 MB, and only the blocks that changed since the image was last read are written back upon saving.

If you change 100 KB, or even 1.5 MB, it would need to write 2 to 4 MB depending on how much file system metadata has changed and how many blocks the changed data spans (if a piece of data smaller than 2 MB happens to span across the border between 2 blocks, both blocks will need to be re-written).

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.