Different disk size when created by RAM Disk and when formatted by Windows

Started by User

I noticed a discrepancy. When SoftPerfect RAM Disk creates exFAT file system on a 25 GB drive, there are about 50MB less listed in Free space and Capacity in disk properties than when I format the file system with Windows.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Different disk size when created by RAM Disk and when formatted by Windows   17 September 2020, 11:00

The reason for this space discrepancy is that the exFAT support was implemented in our RAM Disk before Microsoft published exFAT specs. So the implementation was mainly based on educated guesswork and experience, and to be on the safe side we allocated more space for file system structures.

Now that MS has published the specs, we reviewed the code and implemented a more compact FAT table. In our tests, there is now a bit more space available when formatted from RAM Disk comparing to Windows format, as shown in the screen shots below.

Please download the new build and let us know how it works for you.

SoftPerfect support forum
Thank you very much for the quick reaction and the detailed explanation of the behaviour. I have tested the new version and now I even have a little bit more memory than if I had formatted with Windows.

Perfect!!! Thanks a lot.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Different disk size when created by RAM Disk and when formatted by Windows   17 September 2020, 11:08

Great, we will include these changes in the next release. Once again, thanks for helping us make the product better.
Perfect! I too was wondering about this difference. Not that it was important to me for using the RAM Disk, but it's nice to know why. Thumbs up for the fix/update too! ok, yes, thumb up

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.