Relocating the cache of all applications to RAM disk

Started by Fernando

Fernando

Relocating the cache of all applications to RAM disk   23 October 2020, 10:21

Hi,

I've successfully installed the RAM Disk following the instructions provided in the RAM Disk manual and in Cache Relocator guide, including using the cache relocating tool's function to change temp files in Windows.

Here are my questions:

1) Should I use this addition to the target file for any Chrome installation? Or are the above steps enough?
--disk-cache-dir="A:\cache"

2) Do I need to change the location of the cache file for each individual application I'd like to use with my RAM disk? Or is the initial setup enough?

3) If I do need to change the cache location for individual apps, do I simply use the same addition to the target in the properties?
--disk-cache-dir="A:\cache"

4) How do I know that the application is using the RAM disk?

Kind regards,
Fernando
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Relocating the cache of all applications to RAM disk   23 October 2020, 10:28

You don't need to use the --disk-cache-dir parameter with Chrome if you have already moved its cache with our Cache Relocator tool.

Regarding other applications, not every application has a cache, and none of them would understand --disk-cache-dir. This parameter is specific to Google Chrome.

Generally, it is sufficient to move the caches with our utility and assign the %TEMP% variable to a RAM disk folder. This is described in detail in the Cache Relocator guide.
Okay, thank you.

Are you familiar with Chrome portable? It is installed in a separate drive. Should I use the --disk-cache-dir parameter on that portable Chrome installation?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Relocating the cache of all applications to RAM disk   23 October 2020, 10:43

Our Cache Relocator will not work for portable Chrome. In that case, you do need to use --disk-cache-dir in the shortcut that opens your portable Chrome.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.