Disabled MAC address still appears in the scan

Started by SilvioC

SilvioC

Disabled MAC address still appears in the scan   21 May 2016, 23:59

Hy, a question: I have disabled (via router exclusion table) the access to my wifi network to a user that connects to ip 192.168.1.254, but when scanning it continues to appear in WiFiGuard table: does it mean that the user is still using my wifi network?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Disabled MAC address still appears in the scan   22 May 2016, 10:47

It may depend on how it is implemented in your router. Some routers only check the MAC address filter upon connection, so even though you blacklisted it, it may stay until the next reconnect. Try restarting the router and see if the issue persists.
Thank for answer: unfortunately the issue persists. The strange is that this user is ever present in WIFIGuard list but everytime I check existing connections on my router (I do this check many many times a day to solve this problem) i never find this user on the router table, nor in 2,4 G nor in 5 G.
This user is discovered only by WIFIGuard. What could it be?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Disabled MAC address still appears in the scan   23 May 2016, 10:40

It's hard to tell what it may be. It could be a wired device, a range extender or some other piece of equipment, not necessarily a WiFi user.

It could also be a static ARP entry configured on the Windows PC where you run WiFi Guard. You can type arp -a in a command prompt to find out if that is the case.
Solved! My router has a built-in interface for multimedia (for a provider streaming service not activated). This hw interface has a second mac-address (and a second IP number) slightly different from the first one. Of course it cannot be filtered by mac-address filter and whatever I try it remains in IP list. Not a problem at all (it's not an external user) but the important is to be informed about.
Thanks for attention anyway.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.