Error invalid character Line 1 Pos 1 in wifi guard.cfg

Started by OldNickToo

Error invalid character Line 1 Pos 1 in wifi guard.cfg   23 July 2013, 21:31

This error pops up every time I try to start WFG. It gives a quite complex d:\...\appdata\wifi guard\wifi guard.cfg listing. I tried reinstalling but got the same error. I did a search on my entire d: drive, but "guard.cfg" return no finds. WFG was working OK until a few days ago, even though my boot drive is d:.

The program seems to function OK. It's just that at reboot I always get the error, which stops it working, which renders it useless on an auto reboot after power failure etc.

Thanks for any help.

Nick
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Error invalid character Line 1 Pos 1 in wifi guard.cfg   23 July 2013, 23:28

You just need to delete this file. Somehow the config file has been corrupted and if you delete it, it will be recreated.

In order to see some of the folders in that path, you may need to turn on showing hidden folders.

Error INvalid character Line 1 Pos 1 in wifi guard.cfg   24 July 2013, 22:27

Thanks for the reply. I am actually using XP, not 7 or Vista. But I do know how to show hidden files/folders.

Toos/ Folder options/ View/Hidden Files and Folders/ Show Hidden Files and Folders.

I have that and I still cannot find the wifi guard.cfg file. Deleting it and hoping it would reinstate itself was my first thought, even though uninstalling and then dumping related files and registry entries may well have done just that.

So I can't delete the cfg file because it appreantly does not exist.

Nick
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Error INvalid character Line 1 Pos 1 in wifi guard.cfg   25 July 2013, 09:14

It has to be there. So what is the exact path that WiFi Guard complains about at startup?

Also, what folders do you see if you are trying to follow that path?

Error INvalid character Line 1 Pos 1 in wifi guard.cfg   25 July 2013, 17:29

Sorry and thanks. I had the PC set to allow me to _see_ hidden files and folder, but I did not realise there was and "Advanced" _search setting to allow it to _find_ hiddne files and folders.

All fixed.

Thanks again.

Nick

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.