Suggestion: Limit the quantity of email notifications

Started by Sam

Would it be possible to limit the amount of emails sent?
Example: a friend or guest logs into our WiFi, and when I get back home I have numerous emails in my inbox warning me about it.

Of course this is a nice-to-have, it's a great tool as is.

Kind regards,
Sam.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Suggestion: Limit the quantity of email notifications   17 September 2020, 12:52

Thank you for your feedback. We have updated WiFi Guard so that it does not send duplicate e-mails.

Now, if WiFi Guard detects the same set of unknown devices over several runs, it will only send one e-mail. If the set of unknown devices changes, it will send another e-mail. The update can be downloaded here.
Good morning,
That's so great, you actually implemented it! The mail rfc was bothering me the most, so that's perfect. I'll go purchase my license.
Thanks again,
Sam.
Good day,
Any chance that duplicate email fix got removed from the latest WiFi Guard version? Because I'm getting multiple emails again.

Kind regards,
Sam
Ann

Re: Suggestion: Limit the quantity of email notifications   11 February 2021, 18:32

WiFi Guard will not send identical e-mails, but if the list of detected devices changes, new e-mails will still be sent.

For example, if WiFi Guard finds an unknown device AABBCCDDEEFF, it sends an e-mail. If it finds the same unknown device again, it will not send more e-mails about it (until you restart the application).
However, if any other devices come or go, the list of detected devices changes and new e-mails will still be sent, which will of course include that AABBCCDDEEFF device if it is still there.

You can mark those devices as known (if you know they are legitimate), so that they are recognised as such and don't trigger e-mail alerts.
Any chance you can get around to fixing the multiple-emails-per-device 'bug' that seems to have crept back in? It spams my mailbox whenever a new device is found during the night sad
Thanks for the quick reply, as always.
Ann

Re: Suggestion: Limit the quantity of email notifications   30 June 2021, 14:11

You are right, we double-checked it and found that in some cases e-mails may still be repeatedly sent even if the list of MAC addresses did not change.

Please try the new builds. WiFi Guard should now only send an e-mail when the list of detected MAC addresses changes (i.e. a MAC address appears or disappears).

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.