Unrecognised 192.168.0.x IP address

Started by Jose

Jose

Unrecognised 192.168.0.x IP address   11 October 2021, 11:31

I've downloaded the WiFi Guard and so far I like what I see. I do have a question: The scans lists IP address 192.168.0.5 which I do not recognize and I have nothing attached to it. My understanding is that this is an intranet IP address, which is usually allocated to mobile phones, desktops, laptops, TVs, smart speakers and other devices inside the local network. Is this correct and nothing for me to worry about?

The scan also shows two other IP addresses:
192.168.0.1 is usually used as an external gateway (my Netgear router).
192.168.0.2 is a default login IP that is reserved for modems or wireless routers. This is my lap top's address.

Do I understand this correctly, or do I have to change my router's password? Please advise.
Many thanks. Regards.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Unrecognised 192.168.0.x IP address   11 October 2021, 12:01

WiFi Guard always reports intranet addresses as 192.168.x.x. It's only a matter of figuring out if they belong to your devices or not.

For example, if 192.168.0.1 is your router and 192.168.0.2 is your laptop, the question to ask is what's 192.168.0.5? Think of what in your place has access to the Internet: sometimes you can guess what it is from the device name or network card's manufacturer. If the device is hard to identify from its detected name, turning the devices that you haven't yet accounted for off and on one by one will help to find out what is what. Turn a device off, rescan, if the IP disappears, then it's likely that device. Turn it back on, rescan, if it re-appears, then it's definitely that device. Identify it, and repeat with the next unaccounted device.

If, after you have done this with all your devices, you still see unknown address, it makes sense to change your WiFi password in your router to stop them from using your network.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.