Switch Port Mapper x64, bugs in v.1.0.4

Started by Mark

Mark

Switch Port Mapper x64, bugs in v.1.0.4   13 February 2015, 06:50

Hi,

We've purchased Switch Port Mapper and I have begun using it more frequently, however I'm noticing some instabilities/bugs in the current version as follows:

1. The search functionality does not always work. Sometimes when you search it will say "text not found" but clicking on search again finds the result. As well, occasionally a search will cause a crash.
2. I also notice at times that once a device scan is complete, while idle, the devices drop down will magically switch to another device causing confusion as to which device I just scanned.
3. Printing defaults to landscape. No option to adjust header and footer margins.
4. Program may freeze at times requiring a restart.

Suffice to say that scanning about 5 devices usually requires a few restarts to get a proper enumeration. Ironically, the free program Netscan seems to be much more stable compared to the paid version of this program. Perhaps some of these issues can be reviewed for future builds.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark

Re: Switch Port Mapper x64, bugs in v.1.0.4   13 February 2015, 07:03

I've determined what's causing issue 2. After selecting a device from the drop-down list, I then click "Go". Once the results are complete, I instinctively scroll with my mouse wheel to review the results. However, since the focus is still on the device drop-down, I inadvertently scroll through the list of devices without noticing, switching to another device. I then go to print my report and the device I have selected appears in the header of the report causing confusion.

One way to avoid this other than paying close attention to where the selected item focus is, would be for the selected item focus to change once the "Go" button is pressed, so the focus automatically lands in the results pane.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Switch Port Mapper x64, bugs in v.1.0.4   13 February 2015, 14:38

Hi Mark, thank you for your feedback.

1. That's interesting, the search feature is pretty straightforward. Is there a reproducible case where it doesn't find a term? May be the reason is when you change the search string during search, it resumes search from the last match, not from the beginning. Also when it crashes is there an error message or something?
  2. You are right, we'll change it to focus on the result pane after clicking Go.
  3. Printing support is fairly basic. You may want to export the result, say in HTML and print it from a web-browser with more options.
  4. We'd love to fix this if we knew where it happens. Could you perhaps untick Scan the current subnet... in File - Settings - Discovery to see if the software no longer freezes with this option off?
Mark

Re: Switch Port Mapper x64, bugs in v.1.0.4   14 February 2015, 08:24

Hi Andrew,

1. You can try reproducing the experience as follows most of the time but not always:
- Scan a switch to get results.
- Click on the first or second entry entry in the results.
- Hit [Ctrl] + [F] and enter a keyword you know exists in the results then click "Next".
- You may get a "Text is not found" on the first try. Click "Next" again to find your result.
- Or try clicking on a blank area in the results pane then perform a search. You may need to run search again to find the result but it's not always consistent.
In very rare occasions, I get a programmatic error referring to a parsing problem on a given line, but I don't have an exact example at the moment. I will attached a screen capture if it happens again.

4. Hold off for now, as I'm not sure if the app was freezing 100% or if an "Always on top" windows focus was taking precedent, making the program look like it was freezing. I can't reproduce it at the moment.

One wishlist feature for this app that I also asked for with Network Scanner would be font customization.

Other than that, a fantastic app that makes my job easier!
P.S. I tend to be picky with apps I really like and want to see the best come out of them.

Btw, great job on the support forum and overall web layout. Very easy to use with a GUI that's simple to navigate and has clean look.

Thanks for you support,
Mark

Re: Switch Port Mapper x64, bugs in v.1.0.4   16 February 2015, 16:46

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your feedback. We seem to have fixed the search issue and added a setting to change the main view font. Please download the latest update and let me know how it works for you.
Mark

Re: Switch Port Mapper x64, bugs in v.1.0.4   17 February 2015, 12:36

Hi Andrew,

Excellent! Here are my results with the 64-bit version:

1a. Search function finds results immediately on first try - resolved.
1b. I was able to get the search function to produce the following error when clicking the "Next" button: "Assertion failure (G:[Dev]\switchmap\GUI.MainView.pas, line 1322)"
2. Focus after scan automatically switches to results pane - resolved.
3. Font customization added in "Settings & preferences" - resolved.

Thanks for the quick response.
Mark

Re: Switch Port Mapper x64, bugs in v.1.0.4   19 February 2015, 10:18

Hi Mark,

Do you remember when exactly the error "Assertion failure" came up after clicking Next? Was the software scanning the switch, or it happened after all the result was ready and the software was idling?

I can't really reproduce the actions that led to this error, though I'd really like to identify and fix it.

Andrew
Mark

Re: Switch Port Mapper x64, bugs in v.1.0.4   21 February 2015, 11:28

Hi Andrew,

It happened after being idle. It occurred very rarely, but it was after clicking "Next" a few times in a row. It's not that much of a big deal, so I probably wouldn't worry about unless it gets more frequent. I can't reproduce it on demand, so it's hard to pinpoint it and since I'm only testing it on one workstation, it's also difficult to isolate if there are issues causing it unique to my OS build.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Switch Port Mapper x64, bugs in v.1.0.4   23 February 2015, 18:03

Hi Mark,

I have figured out when it was happening: if you were in the middle of a search, then re-run the scan or scan a different switch, and after that continued the search, it would fail.

The fixed build is now available for download. Thank you for helping us track it down.
Mark

Re: Switch Port Mapper x64, bugs in v.1.0.4   24 February 2015, 13:40

Great! No problem and thanks for fixing it.

Btw, if you could sneak in the font feature you added in SPM to Network Scanner, that would be awesome smile

Re: Switch Port Mapper x64, bugs in v.1.0.4   24 February 2015, 14:06

Sure, will do. It's pretty straightforward wink

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.