Physical location of the port

Started by bizmarkie

Physical location of the port   25 July 2016, 15:55

Hello. I was wondering if maybe there is an snmp command available that says what physical position the port is on the switch? Then I'd know if the ports are 8 on top and 8 on the bottom, or one of those thinner netgear switches with 16 ports all the way across in a single row. They could be labeled T1, T2, B1, B2 for top and bottom. It would be great if there was a column in your software that showed that! I never seen it so it might not exist, but its worth a try to ask me thinks! I've seen columns in other software that aren't in your app and vice-versa, so I know the columns in your switch port mapper aren't all the ones that are available. I wont post them here tho coz I think that's rude, you know?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Physical location of the port   25 July 2016, 17:58

It could be the Port alias column. Did you check the last column in the list?

SoftPerfect support forum

Re: Physical location of the port   27 July 2016, 04:06

Thanks! I did look at that and for 8 port switches, they just show the same numbers as the port numbers. Our 8 port switches are all single row. But my 16 port switches are usually 2 rows and I can't get info from them due to the trial I guess?

you know how some port configurations are like this

some are like this

And then most 8 port switches are like this

I may not been clear before. Is that what port alias is for?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Physical location of the port   27 July 2016, 11:15

The Port alias column represents ifAlias, whose description is rather ambiguous. It's same kind of alternative name in addition to ifName and ifDesc.

Anyway, since it does not indicate the physical location of a port, it's probably in some other OID. It's pretty hard to determine what OID it may be though, without having access to the switch.

You mentioned one switch has ports labelled as T1, T2, B1, B2. Could you perhaps run snmpwalk against that switch and send me the output?

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.