MAC address, IP address and host name are not found

Started by Speed

Speed

MAC address, IP address and host name are not found   24 January 2014, 19:42

When using Switch Port Mapper demo, it finds my port name, status, speed, duplex & client HW vendors
But no info for MAC address, IP address and host name.

What could be the problem?

Additionally, is it possible to add custom commands with custom arguments, like in NetScan?
I would like the possibility to run a reverse nslookup command with custom dns server address, for a given IP or arp for MAC.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: MAC address, IP address and host name are not found   24 January 2014, 20:07

Are you saying it displays MAC address vendor, without displaying the actual MAC addresses? Could you please post a screen shot.

Yes, it's possible to add custom commands just like in the network scanner as shown below

SoftPerfect support forum
I tried to recreate it, and now for every vendor entry, there is indeed also a MAC entry. (maybe I was wrong confused)
but still not every port shows MAC address (even when the port is connected).
also, my router is a Checkpoint FW, and I'm not sure how to get SNMP from it yet. is there another way to get hostname & IP?

SoftPerfect support forum
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: MAC address, IP address and host name are not found   28 January 2014, 18:44

In order to troubleshoot few MAC addresses displayed I need to see what your switch actually exposes.

Please download the Net-SNMP package here.

Then locate 'snmpwalk' and launch it as
snmpwalk -v 1 -c communityname x.x.x.x > sometextfile.txt
Where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the switch and then email me the output file to support at softperfect.com.

As to IP addresses, the software needs SNMP access to a router. This is what the Port Mapper does:

1. Obtains a list of ports and MAC addresses connected to those ports from a switch.
  2. Obtains a list of MAC-to-IP address mappings from a router.
  3. Cross-references the data received from the switch and the router and produces a final report.

Some advanced switches are both a switch and a router in one device. In that case you can enter the same address again as the router's address and it will display IP information.

If however the above doesn't work, you need to find a way to pull SNMP data from your router to see IP information.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.