How to distinguish identical switches

Started by Micha

Micha

How to distinguish identical switches   18 December 2017, 11:27

I'm using the "Discover" feature to find all switches on my network. Unfortunately they are all discovered with the same name (because they are the same model and have the same config). So when I do a scan on all of them, I can't distinguish the different switches in the result display.

Maybe you could add a "Switch host name"/"Switch IP address" column to the view, or make the "Discover" feature append the IP address to the Name of the switch? Either way would be greatly appreciated.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: How to distinguish identical switches   18 December 2017, 11:41

During the discovery process the Port Mapper looks up switch's sysName and sysDescr, which are used to make a default name when the discovered switches are saved. Most switches store only their model name in sysDescr, but ideally they should have a different name in sysName.

There is also sysLocation field designed to describe where the switch is located physically, which we have just added. It is used in generation of default names during discovery, so that the switch location is added to its name. The new build will be released soon.

You can also simply rename and organise the names by editing them any way you like. You can also add their IP addresses or other IDs in the name if you wish.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.