Upcoming Bandwidth Manager

Started by kiwi_rock

Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   11 May 2006, 09:52

Hi Andrew,

I remember you mentioned a newer version due out towards the end of April or May sometime(ish). You also mentioned additional reporting, I was wondering what kind of additional reporting are you working on if you don't me asking?

Cheers,
Gavin.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   18 May 2006, 20:52

Yes, it is almost complete. there will be a way to see stats by user rather than by date, weekly and montly summaries, plus probably a little charts. Moreover, I can surely list the features that will be available shortly:

1. Configurable periods (weeks and months) for quotas. For example, if a billing period of ISP begins on 5th of every month, this can be synchronized with the bandwidth manager.

2. Lower bandwidth support. Now, the lowest value can be as low as 2400 bits/sec (300 bytes/sec) instead of 12112 bits/sec (1514 bytes/sec) before.

3. Unlimited address groups. The groups no longer have a maximum size restriction.

4. Port mapping and WWW redirection to be used for transparent proxying and redirect specific users to a web page (useful mostly for WISPs).

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   18 May 2006, 21:44

Number 3. from the list of features made my day a better one smile!

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   18 May 2006, 21:54

smile

Yes, it is almost complete. there will be a way to see stats by user rather than by date, weekly and montly summaries, plus probably a little charts. Moreover, I can surely list the features that will be available shortly:

Is this via the manager's client or web based? I'm not bright enough to know how to code, script stuff in computer language to display some sort of filter states via a web page for tx/rx per filter. But I can't live with that, since it's not that hard to look up the stats in the manager for me, just means others can't easily enough.

Hey I do like the sound of this though:

4. Port mapping and WWW redirection to be used for transparent proxying and redirect specific users to a web page (useful mostly for WISPs).

That's a great idea. I've been playing with internal DNS solutions, funny enough, today in hope of understanding how I can get a web browser to automatically be redirected to an IP running a simple http server.

So that's cool news, I can kill two birds with one stone so to speak by getting off my behind and purchasing bandwidth manager soon instead of having to fiddle with dns to acheive the same thing to find I'll still be puchasing the bandwidth manager anyway.

Do you think the port forwarding etc... will be in the lite version, haha smile Hey no harm in dreaming aye.

Gavin.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   18 May 2006, 21:57

Sorry, I meant I "can" live with the fact I'm not bright enough to do that, if it's only via the bandwidth manager remote client interface that is.

Cheers, Gav.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   18 May 2006, 23:17

Hi Alex & Gavin,

Alex.M

Number 3. from the list of features made my day a better one

I remember, we tried to import a long IP networks list and failed. It should not be a problem anymore once the new version is released.

kiwi_rock

Is this via the manager's client or web based? I'm not bright enough to know how to code, script stuff in computer language to display some sort of filter states via a web page for tx/rx per filter.

This is via the manager's GUI. However, if you have got a web-server that supports PHP scripting or something like that, let me know what kind of stats you need, and probably we'll be happy to create a script for you. Free of charge, of course, as this script would also benefit other users as well. As to port mapping and redirection, it won't be available in Lite version, but we can give you a personal discount if you are not a license owner yet smile

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   19 May 2006, 08:28

When I mean not bright enough to figure out scripts, well, I've heard of php, but I wouldn't have a clue exactly what it even stands for. I know it replaces a lot of html files and appears to be something like a perl cgi dynamic page interface and that heaps of fourms use it.

I'll go look though at my web server documents, I know it's a 10 year old web sever but there's something in the new revised ducoments about php with it. It does everything else so I'll go look. I use an old windows ported versino called Pi3Web.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   19 May 2006, 21:25

I don't think I will be understand how to impliment such a script. Although the open developers of the software are very helpful. I found this in my documentation from the 2004 update:

"PHP4 Support
There's an embedded PHP4 module in Pi3Web 2.0 for fast PHP4 server side scripting support. PHP can be used as CGI nevertheless. The embedded PHP4 interpreter can be upgraded with the binary packages provided by the php developers."

FYI [pi3web.sourceforge.net]. I hope you don't mind me posting an external link.

It's got loads of features given it's simple interface. I don't really use it for anymore than serving up a few web pages from time to time (not something I charge for). I used to download a few perl scripts and modify them with help to run guestbooks etc... but I couldn't tell you what I'd have to do to put one back in little own a php script.

But I guess the achitecture would be similar supported by other servers if they support PHP. So it would definately be of help others as you mentioned.

My exprience with programming is almost none. I've written some really really basic batch files linked with a bunch of command line prorammes to solve some peoples problems in the past. I did one to create a basic (I have an understanding of html, roughly beginners to intermediate... I use notepad for making them without them looking like my first websites smile I know there's tools like frontpage for drag and drop style construction, but I find I learn a heck load more doing it by hand. Anyway I figured out how to manipulate windows batch file commands to write a dynamically changing web page with tables and graphics to show the network status of a few routers and host IP addresses rather than try the freebies out there. If I had a GUI I could almost make $1 for my idea since everyone else did.

Gavin.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   19 May 2006, 21:29

Hmm wish there was an "edit" feature on this board, haha. I really got sidetracked then, didn't finish my sentence before my brackets.

Gavin.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   30 May 2006, 06:13

Andrew, I don't wanna press you but when do you think that the next version will be released.I have some problems in my network and I really need to setup rules based on IP groups.
Thanks,
Alex
Barry

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   30 May 2006, 09:26

IP groups for rules is already available in the current release on the site.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   30 May 2006, 23:13

Yes I know,but there is a limit of 256 IP for one group and I need over 3000.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   05 June 2006, 03:49

A new beta build is now available! Here's what must work fine and what may not:

Transfer rate limit down to 300 bytes per second. Previous limit was 1514 bytes per second, but some customers want to throttle connections at such lower rates. Must work fine.

Unlimited address groups. The groups no longer have a maximum size restriction. Must work fine. Alex, this is for you smile

Configurable period beginning (weeks and months) for quotas. Must work fine.

Port mapping and WWW redirection. Should work fine.

Rules still may become distorted when new adapters are plugged in or removed from the system, because theor indexes change. This is a known bug and is to be fixed in the final release.

Any comments, bug reports are welcome smile

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   05 June 2006, 05:16

Thank you verry much Andrew!I will test it and let you know if there are any problems.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   06 June 2006, 04:39

Bad news sad.
This beta version is breaking up the connectivity.
The queue is filling up to the maximum size and remains there.For this reson the speed is droping below the rule limit almost to no connectivity.
Is this problem only to me?
Please see the attached screenshot.
Thank you.

P.S. Please increase size limit for attachments,I had to cut a lot from the pic to reduce the size bellow 100KB.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   06 June 2006, 05:44

You should crop the image and save it as png or gif. Even MS paint allows you to do this..

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   06 June 2006, 12:40

Wow I didn't realise how long it woudl take for a queue to empty if the bitrate is really low, ie: 9600bps. A long time from pressing stop on the browser. I don't think I'll use that speed afte all but it's good for allowing specific DNS bandwidth for lookups etc..

I've tried the port forwarding on the local machine only, and to no success. I created a filter for tcp/ip with the url of [127.0.0.1], even [10.1.1.7] but no go. I then tried shifting my web server from port 80 to port 81, and setting a redirect to local port 81. I tried any web page, then local IP addresses but still didn't get sucessfully forwarded to my web server. I was trying to test this with a simple mac from source address, to any ip any port filter with the additional processing enabled and the right port mapping selected.

I'm guessing I need to fiddle with the destination stuff aswell or instead? When I change the mapping rules, does it take a little while for the updates to occur to the BWM engine?

When I try the above filter all on the local machine, I just get no more http access, appart from connecting to my web server directly.

Gavin.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   06 June 2006, 17:04

I've tried the build on a different machine,not on a VMWare,and seems that are not such problems as described above...
So,do not test BW with VMware smile

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   07 June 2006, 03:44

Hi Gavin & Alex!

Alex: it it strange that it does not work with VMWare. Did you have the test inside a virtual machine (guest OS) or try to run the bandwidth manager on the host OS?

Gavin: this is to the Windows TCP/IP stack implementation. All local communications are handled specially by the kernel, above the so called NDIS layer. In simple words, this means that the bandwidth manager does not see any local communications. You need at least two machines to test it. Basically, a test environment could be like the following: Computer A is linked with the computer B which is the internet gateway. Suppose we have a proxy server on the computer B running on port 3128. Then we install the bandwidth manager on the computer B and create a rule to catch any packets directed to port 80 from computer A. Finally, we bind a mapping to port 3128 with the rule. As a result, all computer A's HTTP queries will be redirected to the proxy server. There's no user's manual for the new features yet, so I hope I explained it a bit.

Ah, and I forgot to tell. This new release won't support Windows NT 4.0, but it seems none of the customers will be sad because of this.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   07 June 2006, 04:12

BWM in installed inside virtual machine (Windows 2003 SE) not on host OS (Windows XP).
The same behaviour I got when you send me that special build for large groups but I belived that was a problem with that build.
I've tested on my backup Internet conection with 2 rules,one involving all the subnets (around 2000) in one group and one for the rest.It seems to be ok,but the real test is with 2 x 150 rules (one for group and one for the rest) and a link around 10-25mbps.I'm courios if BWM (or CPU smile ) will handle it !

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   13 June 2006, 02:54

One more pre-release build 2.6B1 is now available, it features advanced rule statistics. A few bugs have been fixed.

Alex, the previous build did not handle IP groups correctly, please use this update.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   13 June 2006, 03:35

Thank you Andrew!I just downloaded this build and installed on my backup Internet connection server.
I will install on my main machine when the final version will be released.
From my side the previous build works correctly.What does means that did not handle IP group correctly smile?

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   13 June 2006, 04:08

That means the following. Any IP address can be represented as a number in range 0..2^32. Due to use a signed integer variable instead of unsigned one, the bandwidth manager didn't match any IP address in range 2^31 .. 2^32 with the IP groups. If such an address was in a packet, it always didn't match with the group. In other words, some addresses mismach with the group altough although they must.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   13 June 2006, 04:39

I understead.Thanks for the reply.
Regards,
Alex
Lucas Alexandre

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   14 June 2006, 03:58

This beta version is compatible with Kerio Winroute and Sygate Firewall ?

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   14 June 2006, 04:16

This one supports KWF and Sygate.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   14 June 2006, 06:04

Andrew, I have one question.I want to be able to see real time (or let's say 30 seconds interval) bandwidth usage per rule (something like the last 30 seconds from statistics).It's this information available using BWM API or using accessing the database?
I know that informations like bytes sent/received by rule can be accessed this way,but a real time info is available?
Thanks,
Alex

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   15 June 2006, 04:38

No, this information is not stored due to the possible quick database growth and performance degradation. The bandwidth manager keeps a record (bytes sent, bytes received) about a particular rule on a particular day. If need to store it, say every 30 seconds, we can customize it for you, but... I am unsure if the database engine can handle such a volume and all this stuff may become slow quickly. What you see in the rule stats is just a record of last 30 seconds, which is stored fully in RAM and never saved to disk.

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   15 June 2006, 19:37

I understand,it's logical.What I want to acomplish is to see top bandwitdh usage users at a given moment of time (for the last 30-1minut).I don't want a history of bandwidth usage,I want to know who is using the bandwidth at that moment (top 10 -20 IPs).What options do I have?Any ideas?

Re: Upcoming Bandwidth Manager   16 June 2006, 04:23

That's will be a new feature added to the next bandwidth manager build (hopefully to Monday).

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.