Wireless router connected to two wireless PC's and two hard-wired PC's

Started by John M.

I tried playing around with Bandwidth Monitor but i'm still not happy with the results. Here's my problem.. I have a wireless router connected to TWO wireless PC's and TWO hard-wired PC's. I want to limit the bandwidth on 1 of the wireless computers, and one hard-wired computer. I noticed that the only way to effectively limit the bandwidth is to select 'any protocol' under the rules options. Whenever I select, tcp/udp or both, nothing at all changes. But the problem with selecting 'any protocol' is that you can't specify any ip addresses, etc. Help?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Wireless router connected to two wireless PC's and two hard-wired PC's   23 May 2006, 13:09

Please mention where you have installed the bandwidth manager and what exactly rules have you tried?
John M.

Re: Setting up my RULES!   23 May 2006, 21:54

I have installed Bandwidth manager on the hard-wired PC (the one that i want to limit it's bandwidth).

As for the rules, I always have the direction on 'either'. The Transfer rate limit is set at 16000 Bps (for testing purposes to see if it works, i set it at 2000). As i mentioned earlier, the only Protocol that seems to work is 'All protocols', which is useless since you can't specify an ip address, etc. And for the interface, i put it on 'Any interface'.

Re: Setting up my RULES!   23 May 2006, 22:24

What happens if you make your rule like this:
Rule #1: Test
 Protocol: TCP/UDP
 Direction: Both
 Rate: 2000
 Source: localhost
 Destination: Any IP address
 Interface: Any
if still doesn't work, try this one
Rule #1: Test
 Protocol: TCP/UDP
 Direction: Both
 Rate: 2000
 Source: IP of the computer
 Destination: Any IP address
 Interface: Any
John M.

Re: Setting up my RULES!   23 May 2006, 22:43

i'll keep posting here instead of email.. thanks anyway.. i have to go to work but i'll try your new rules later today, in about 8 hours.
John M.

Re: Setting up my RULES!   24 May 2006, 06:54

what exactly does SOURCE and DESTINATION refer to? please specify

Re: Setting up my RULES!   24 May 2006, 21:19

It is a relative thing. Basically, source is the address where a packet comes from, destination is the address where a packet comes to. So, if the bandwidth manager is installed on a workstation, source can be local host and destination can be any IP address.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.