Limiting upload / download speed at different rates

Started by Alan

Hi

I have reviewed many posts in this forum, but haven't found one that explains how to limit upload and download speed at different rates. For example, I would like to limit a user to 3kb/s for upload and 15kb/s for download. What settings do I need?

The user is connected to the adsl router wirelessly. Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks and regards

Alan
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Limiting upload / download speed   12 July 2006, 08:03

That's simple. You need to create two rules: first catches incoming packets, second catches outgoing packets. If you tell me more details about your case - where the bandwidth manager has been installed and what are your network IP addresses, I will be able to provide a ready to use set of rules.
Alan

Re: Limiting upload / download speed   14 July 2006, 22:33

I have bandwidth manager GUI installed on my laptop, and the bandwidth manager service on a desktop. Both the laptop and desktop connect to the wireless adsl router wirelessly.

I can connect to the desktop through the bnadwidth manager GUI, just not sure how to set the rules properly. Don't really understand the source and destination definition. As explained previously, I with to limit the downloading speed to say 20kb/s and upload to 3kb/s. Hope this is all you need.

Thanks and regards

Alan
Alan

Re: Limiting upload / download speed   14 July 2006, 22:47

Oh and I wish to not limit the speed of our internal network - like if I was to transfer a file to him (wirelessly) it won't be slowed down.

Thanks.

Re: Limiting upload / download speed   17 July 2006, 07:14

Make your rules like these (I assume your LAN uses 192.168.x.x addressing). Rule #1 enables high speed local data transfer. Rules #2 and #3 enable throttled internet access from the desktop:
Rule #1: Fast internal network
 Protocol: TCP/UDP
 Rate: Unlimited
 Direction: Both
 Source: Range: 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
 Destination: Range: 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
 Interface: Any Interface

Rule #2: Desktop - Download
 Rate: 20 KB/s
 Source: Any IP address
 Destination: 192.168.0.2 (desktop's IP address)
 Interface: Any Interface

Rule #3: Desktop - Upload
 Rate: 3 KB/s
 Source: 192.168.0.2 (desktop's IP address)
 Destination: Any IP address
 Interface: Any interface
Alan

Re: Limiting upload / download speed   17 July 2006, 18:05

I have implemented those rules, however when I refresh the stats, Rule #3 doesn't do anything (both received and sent remain at 0).

Rule #2 shows received and sent going up. I didn't use the desktop's IP as it is dynamic, instead, I used "localhost".

Have I missed something?

Re: Limiting upload / download speed   08 August 2006, 02:02

Using 'localhost' is not a correct choice I think. If the desktop PC has a dynamically assigned IP address, please consider using MAC address instead, which is static and does not change.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.