Migrating to a new computer

Started by dbeckstrom

Migrating to a new computer   06 May 2015, 07:12

Hello,

I am attempting to move my BWM installation to a new computer. I successfully installed to the new computer and exported / imported my ruleset, but the interface on all rules now shows as "Not Available". I named the NICs the same as the old computer and set up the bridging prior to importing the rules, but didn't help.

Is there a procedure that will allow me to import rules from my old server and retain correct interface on each rule?

Thanks in advance.
Darcy
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Migrating to a new computer   06 May 2015, 10:42

No there isn't, as BM identifies the network cards by their system ID, not by the name.

You can however easily select more than one rule on the new computer, choose Edit and select the interface to apply on. Likewise, the bridge needs to be updated.

Re: Migrating to a new computer   06 May 2015, 22:44

Ok, that's what I was suspecting, but thanks for confirming that. The multiple rule edit will work fine as a solution.

Thanks,
Darcy

Re: Migrating to a new computer   19 May 2015, 07:10

I've discovered another problem in this migration project. I have the new server in place and am able to install BM and everything looks good. When I import my ruleset however, I lose access to the server. It seems to lock both LAN and WAN ports from connectivity.

When this happened the first time, I thought maybe it was a version issue since the existing server is on 3.0.9. I attempted to upgrade the existing server to the current version and it seemed to lock it up as well.

Since I had the problem, I attempted to just install 3.0.9 on the new server and import my ruleset, but it instead locked me out of RDP.

I am at a loss now as to how I can get my rules loaded to the new server.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Darcy

Re: Migrating to a new computer   19 May 2015, 11:44

Perhaps your ruleset has a blocking rule that upon the import locks you out? If you post your DB file here, I may be able to tell.

Re: Migrating to a new computer   20 May 2015, 10:58

I thought of that also and double-checked it. I also set up the server so I could RDP in from both LAN and WAN but when I import the rules, it locks both interfaces. I emailed the file, I appreciate your taking a look at it.

Thanks!!

Also, if it's any help, the system seems to lock up at the step where it is saying "Sending Data".

Re: Migrating to a new computer   21 May 2015, 12:58

That's exactly what happened, you have discovered a bug in BM. Basically under the hood, if restoring the DB took longer than 1 second, there could be a race condition resulting a deadlock in the BM core.

I am really sorry for this. This bug was present in all 3.x versions. We've just fixed it and published the update, it will soon become an official release.

If you don't want to reinstall the whole thing, simply stop the service and replace the BMCore.exe and BMGUI.exe.

Re: Migrating to a new computer   22 May 2015, 01:31

Andrew,

I'm glad you were able to find and correct the bug so quickly. I updated and it worked perfectly. I now have my ruleset working on the new server.

Thanks for all you help.

Darcy

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.