Client traffic stops in a few hours after a reboot

Started by Van

Having some trouble, and far from being a network genius...

Not exactly sure what's going on but all of my client traffic is being stopped, computer can still access the internet. After a reboot it will start up again and in a few hours time it will stop. I have the firewall (McAfee) turned off and it's still doing it. Seems to me I had this problem once before and just as it magically came it magically disappeared but that was back during Windows XP. Or maybe I changed computers... I forget. Anyway, I'm not seeing anything in the bwmanager logs. What should I be looking for?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Client traffic stops in a few hours after a reboot   05 August 2015, 11:45

Well this could be virtually anything. Please describe your configuration in more detail so that I could give you helpful advice.
Please explain what kind of detail you're looking for? I have internet connected to the computer from an isp, it's shared and goes to a switch which then goes to 4 routers. About as basic of a setup you can get using this program, no changes just 4 rules.

Re: Client traffic stops in a few hours after a reboot   06 August 2015, 16:10

How is the Internet connection shared? Where is BM installed in this scenario? It would be helpful to see a diagram.
About to reinstall windows here... any ideas?
Main computer has 2 Ethernet ports, one in and one out. In from the ISP and out to a switch which then goes to 4 routers. The connection "Local Area Connection" is shared and the "Local Area Connection 2" has an ip of 192.168.0.1 with whatever the normal are when you share a connection in Windows. Also the computer hangs up when rebooting I have to shut it down by holding the power button.
Going to uninstall McAfee, see if that does anything.
Uninstalling McAfee didn't help.

Re: Client traffic stops in a few hours after a reboot   07 August 2015, 11:30

Try re-starting the BM service when the client traffic stops. If it helps, please post here a complete log from BM.
Didn't help. Any other ideas on how I might figure it out? Maybe it's some kind of Windows problem?

Re: Client traffic stops in a few hours after a reboot   09 August 2015, 10:04

If it didn't help, I am afraid I am out of ideas. It can be really anything, e.g. some sort of Windows issue.
I also have this problem, went back to v2.9.1.

Win 2008 R2
BWM 3.1.3
100 rules
No DPI
Bridge mode
2NIC

All traffic just stops, can't see anything in the log.
As OP said you can still access the internet on the BWM server.

I did notice that the BWM service stops, and won't restart, a reboot of the server fixes it for about 12 hours and then it stops again. However I can still use the GUI when this happens, but no traffic will pass through the server.

I tried the BWM with both a bridge and internet connection sharing, and it still does it.
Andrew,
Could you maybe have a look into this problem please?

Re: Client traffic stops in a few hours after a reboot   31 August 2015, 03:53

There isn't much I can do with this data. We have customers who run BM 24/7 and this obviously doesn't happen on their systems.

If you are willing to perform a series of tests on a live system where this occurs, we may be able to understand why this happens.
Ronny

Re: Client traffic stops in a few hours after a reboot   02 September 2015, 05:33

Could it be the version of Windows Server? I use Windows Server 2008 R2.
Which version would you recommend? Or which version do you use?

Re: Client traffic stops in a few hours after a reboot   02 September 2015, 16:52

Probably not, it should work on any Windows. It may be related to BM itself or network card drivers, but I'd need to know more, e.g:
  1. Does the BM service keep running?
  2. If it does, does it still allow to add and remove rules?
  3. If it does not, are there any error messages written in the Windows even log?
  4. If it does not, does starting the service again solve the problem? Does it start again or not? If not, again, are there any error messages in the Windows event log?

This is a basic set of questions to start an investigation as to what happens there.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.