Sharing the USB Modem Internet via laptop acting as a bridge

Started by lmpzkt

Sharing the USB Modem Internet via laptop acting as a bridge   26 August 2015, 02:38

Is this possible: USB Modem> SPBM Bridge> Ethernet or Wireless NIC> Switch or Access point ?

All I need to do is equal shares to my USB Modem Internet with my family through my laptop acting as SPBM Bridge.

Thanks
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Sharing the USB Modem Internet via laptop acting as a bridge   26 August 2015, 05:35

It depends. If the USB modem is seen as an Ethernet device, then you can bridge it with another Ethernet card.

Otherwise, bridging wouldn't work and you can use the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) instead. The ICS is a built-in Windows service described here.

Re: Sharing the USB Modem Internet via laptop acting as a bridge   26 August 2015, 19:42

Andrew

If the USB modem is seen as an Ethernet device

No it's not.

And about ICS let me say that I have another pc with two NIC instead of my laptop and connect the USB modem, do you mean that I can share the internet with one of Ethernet acting as external network and after that make a bridge with the other Ethernet acting as internal network?

Re: Sharing the USB Modem Internet via laptop acting as a bridge   26 August 2015, 21:38

Not quite. What I meant is this:

<USB modem> - <PC with BM and ICS> - <Switch and/or Access Point>

In this case, the switch/AP would be connected to an Ethernet NIC. The Internet is available to anything connected to the switch/AP, while Bandwidth Manager filters all communications between those devices and the modem.

Re: Sharing the USB Modem Internet via laptop acting as a bridge   27 August 2015, 04:05

Could you please give me an example of the rule that sharing the internet to IP range upload and download ?

Re: Sharing the USB Modem Internet via laptop acting as a bridge   27 August 2015, 19:09

I can give a rule example, but it's important to understand that rules don't do any routing or NAT. In other words, the software is merely a traffic filter and rules should only be created after the Internet is working, for example through the ICS.

So regarding a filter example, it could be something like this:
Direction: Both
Protocol: IPv4 based
Rate limit: 100000
Source: 192.188.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (your LAN range)
Destination: Any
Interface: LAN

Though I'd like to stress it again: rules should be created after the Internet access is already available to the LAN devices.

Re: Sharing the USB Modem Internet via laptop acting as a bridge   01 September 2015, 20:13

I try many times with ICS but it's not working I get IP but there's no internet access so I decide to use a software to make this share (3G to Ethernet) Connectify It's working fine without any problems as follows:
USB Modem> PC with Connectify Max> Ethernet> Cable 5e> TP-Link AP Mode> Client device

Now every device connected to the AP has internet access, but the problem is when I installed SPBM and make the rule above can't control the traffic. Is there any rule or specific configuration to make this work?

Thanks

Re: Sharing the USB Modem Internet via laptop acting as a bridge   02 September 2015, 01:32

First, make sure the Ignore LAN traffic is not ticked in the global settings

SoftPerfect support forum

Second, create a rule like this:

Direction: Both
Protocol: Any
Rate limit: 100000
Source: Any
Destination: Any
Interface: LAN

Test if the rule has any traffic flowing through it. If it does, you can then proceed with defining bandwidth restrictions for your clients. If it doesn't, probably Connectify captures traffic before it reaches BM, in which case I am afraid there may be no solution.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.