Bandwidth control: how to slow down or limit connection to certain websites

Started by Nishantha Mirihagalla

Nishantha Mirihagalla

Bandwidth control: how to slow down or limit connection to certain websites   04 January 2016, 17:38

I have a personal computer with Internet access through a wireless dongle and my machine is not connected to any other network. My son who is 10 years old is highly addicted to watching certain stream video sites.

I want to impose a bandwidth control instead of totally blocking those websites. Total block would upset him, so by limiting the bandwidth instead I can make the stream video access slow and difficult, and encourage him gradually away from those websites to better activities.

Can I achieve this by installing SoftPerfect Bandwidth Manager? Does it allow me to impose a bandwidth control for each website I want to control. Does it provide an interface for that?

I am grateful to you for any information in this regard.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Bandwidth control: how to slow down or limit connection to certain websites   04 January 2016, 19:11

Yes, it is possible and our free Lite licence may be sufficient for your goal. You would need to install the software on that computer and then create a bandwidth control rule.

The rule may look like this:
Source: local host
Destination: Group
Rate: set as needed
Protocol: IPv4 based
You need to create a group and add the domain names to it. It's important to understand that the videos on the web-site you mentioned seem to originate from dailymotion.com, so at the very least you need to add to the group the following:
dailymotion.com
sinhalacartoon.co
Thanks you very much for the reply. I will follow the instructions given by you and give my feed back very soon.
I am posting this after using Bandwidth Manager for two days. I can say Bandwidth Manager is marvelous software!

I followed instructions given by Andrew and created rules and then created Groups and added websites to them. After that I linked Rules with relevant Groups. It is working perfectly well. This is the software I was looking for.

I would like to thank SoftPerfect team and Andrew for giving me a solution to my problem. Thank you.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Bandwidth control: how to slow down or limit connection to certain websites   06 January 2016, 16:22

You are very welcome smile

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.