Some rules stopped working. Traffic is limited without any rules

Started by fabio

Some rules stopped working. Traffic is limited without any rules   05 January 2016, 17:26

Hello,

I have problems with the Bandwidth manager. Version 3.1.4 starts normally, but without any Rule the Traffic is limited to about 500 Kb/s. I tried many many rules, but nothing works. I even reinstalled it and doesn't seem to work. Additionally the Manager didn't respect all Rules. Only 1 out of 3 Rules was noticing traffic. Well, but the speed was the main problem at this point.

Before I upgraded, I had Version 3.1.3. This was working fine with all my Rules. After 3.1.4 didn't work, I installed 3.1.3 again, but now it's not working, too...
I get the error: Network driver couldn't be loaded (or something like that - in Windows Logs). And the GUI itself says "Connection Refused".

Can you please help me? I really have to get this working again... Would be great if 3.1.4 works with full speed... Or if I could install 3.1.3 again...

Thanks in advance!
-Fabio
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Some rules stopped working   05 January 2016, 18:57

I am not sure where to start, but let's have a look at your ruleset and log messages.

Could you post here the .DB file from C:\ProgramData\SoftPerfect\Bandwidth Manager? Please compress it to a .ZIP file.

By the way, what version of Windows are you running it on?

Re: Some rules stopped working   05 January 2016, 19:01

DB File (Was too big to attach in Forums directly) : http://www104.zippyshare.com/v/Xedl4AcO/file.html

Anyway, I deleted all Rules at this moment. Still not working..

I use Windows Server 2008 R2

Re: Some rules stopped working. Traffic is limited without any rules   06 January 2016, 23:18

Unfortunately there wasn't much info in the DB to shed light on this issue. I went ahead and ran a test on Windows 2008 R2 x64 with the latest version, but everything worked as expected. The speed was up to 50 MB/s.

SoftPerfect support forum

I guess the culprit may be a combination of network drivers or a conflict with other software installed on your server.

Since version 3.1.3 worked for you, I'd recommend to stick to it. If you get a 'driver loading error', usually that happens when the driver did not install correctly. Please try removing the driver if it's listed under the network connection, and refer to the screen shots below on how to install the driver manually.

Re: Some rules stopped working. Traffic is limited without any rules   07 January 2016, 04:36

I installed 3.1.3 again now. It works for a Rule with Any / Any.

I have 2 Virtual machines Running and I made a Rule with Destination MAC Address of the VM. But Traffic is not recognized. Before this worked...
For the Host machine everything is working.

Any Idea?

Re: Some rules stopped working. Traffic is limited without any rules   07 January 2016, 12:15

Probably the MAC address is not what you expect it to be. Make an Any/Any rule and then set the tracking mode to Destination MAC address. You should be able to see captured MACs in the main view as streams.

Re: Some rules stopped working. Traffic is limited without any rules   07 January 2016, 18:06

I did that, but it only shows the Host's MAC Address. Even if I put much traffic on the Virtual Machines, nothing is being noticed by the Bandwidth Manager.

Re: Some rules stopped working. Traffic is limited without any rules   07 January 2016, 23:24

This means only the MAC addresses of 000AF36A7000 (unicast) and FFFFFFFFFFFF (broadcast) have been seen in the traffic.

What's your configuration and what are you trying to achieve?

Re: Some rules stopped working. Traffic is limited without any rules   08 January 2016, 00:10

I can now see ~ 2 Kb Traffic on one of the MAC Addresses of the VMs. I have no idea how this happened, but the rest of the Traffic isn't being noticed.

I'm trying to limit the bandwidth to the VMs. I have 1 Host machine (Traffic is logged, even with the MAC Address of the Host machines) and 2 VMs. Before I tried to update the Bandwidth Manager everything was working, but now the MACs of the VMs don't seem to have traffic, but actually they do.

Re: Some rules stopped working. Traffic is limited without any rules   08 January 2016, 12:24

Well you can run Wireshark and see if there's any traffic to those MAC addresses or there isn't. I am afraid I can't see what's happening from here.

Re: Some rules stopped working. Traffic is limited without any rules   08 January 2016, 17:24

Could there be a problem with the order of the services?

Edit: I didn't know how to change the order, so I reinstalled the VirtualBox Driver. It's no above the Softperfect Driver and it works like before! Thank you very much!

Re: Some rules stopped working. Traffic is limited without any rules   08 January 2016, 20:29

Interesting, I never met this issue before. Thank you for sharing the solution!

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.