Recommended Windows version for the latest Bandwidth Manager

Started by Ronny

Hi Andrew,

I was just wondering, which version of Windows do you recommend we use with the latest BWM?
Basically, which version did you use while designing and testing it?
It looks like you used Windows Server 2012 R2?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Recommended Windows version for the latest Bandwidth Manager   08 January 2016, 11:40

We develop BM on Windows 8, though anything from Windows XP to Windows 10 or their server edition will do.

Just try not to use it with a third-party firewall or antivirus software installed on the same server as the software may interfere with each other.
I have tested the new version of BWM on Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Both lock up after a few hours. Only a restart fixes the problem. Going to now test with Windows Server 2012 R2. Oh and you can still access the GUI remotely and the service stays running.

There are absolutely no errors in the BWM log or Windows system log, it just stops passing traffic through the bridge. You can still access the internet on the server however. I am not seeing this problem in version 2.9.1, it is rock solid.

Re: Recommended Windows version for the latest Bandwidth Manager   09 January 2016, 12:29

There's a possibility of a dead lock not caught in tests. If the lockup happens again and is reproducible, please go to the registry and set CriticalSectionTimeout to 60 (seconds) at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\CriticalSectionTimeout
Then reboot the system and wait for the BWM lockup to happen again. Once it happens wait, for 1 minute, which will cause a critical section deadlock to raise an exception which then may be written in the log.
Hi !
Thought I'd chime in.
I've tested SBM on a win2003 and it locked up once every 2-3 days.
I've also tested it on a Windows 7 Ultimate PC and its been up and running for 100+ days !
Don't forget to turn hibernation/sleep off though.
If I had to use Windows 7 as opposed to Windows Server would there be any adverse effects? Like connection limits of any sort?

Just worried that the Windows 7 TCP connection limit would affect the BWM negatively.

Re: Recommended Windows version for the latest Bandwidth Manager   17 January 2016, 19:56

It depends on how you actually use it. For example, if the computer is to be a bridge, it doesn't matter as the traffic data never reach the TCP/IP stack. It's forwarded by BWM in this case.

Anyway even when using the ICS I wouldn't be concerned unless you have hundreds of users.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.