Tracking mode: all connections share the rate limit and quota

Started by Eko Setiawan

Hi,

I've been using BWM for 30 days in trial mode, and i'm very satisfied for the performance, and decided to continue usage in lite mode. I am considering to purchase it in the near future.
Since i have 6 PCs to manage, in Lite Version i cannot create 6 rules due to the limitation. And for workaround, i use 3 grouping rules (2 Local IP's per group), and using [tracking mode: all connections share the limit and quota].

SoftPerfect support forum

The problem is, the bandwidth seems not equally distributed among 1 group. This case usually happened if one PC logged in later than the other.
I wonder if you could assist on this matter. Thank you in advance for your attention.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Tracking mode: all connections share the rate limit and quota   14 May 2016, 10:13

First, although unrelated, unless you are using bridging I recommend to remove the IGNORE LAN rule and use the built-in kernel-level filtering:

SoftPerfect support forum

Second, unfortunately BM doesn't guarantee equal distribution. It's basically the same if two or more computers were connected directly to a router with limited throughput, they would have to compete for bandwidth. Usually if computer A opens more connections than computer B, it can hog more bandwidth - that's how the TCP/IP stack works.
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your prompt feedback.
Just one more question if you don't mind:
In Long Transfer Penalty, throttle to (%) is it related to overall percentage of allocated bandwidth or something else?
for example:
-If Throttle to 50%, if i allocate bandwidth 1Mbps, Long Transfer Penalty will throttle down user to 500kbps?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Tracking mode: all connections share the rate limit and quota   15 May 2016, 12:22

Correct, it's a percentage of the bandwidth limit that was set in a rule, so 50% would be 0.5 Mbps.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.