Maximum throughput the rules can handle

Started by jgzt26

jgzt26

Maximum throughput the rules can handle   16 May 2016, 23:36

Hi. I'm wondering what is the maximum throughput that BWM rules can handle. i have a 1Gbps connection with our ISP and 1000 users in our LAN side sharing the rate.

My understanding is that rules are based on data rate. Therefore is it possible to limit all my clients to have 1mbps per client (based on their IP's) so that i can maximize my ISP's bandwidth to have an equally distributed data rate?

so that 1000 clients with 1Mbps each will compensate my 1Gbps connection to the ISP.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Maximum throughput the rules can handle   16 May 2016, 23:48

The latest release available from the product's home page can handle about 300 Mbps max.

There is a newer development build that can handle up to approx 1 Gbps, at least one customer reported handling 950 Mbps with it. It's stable enough for production use and it can be downloaded here.

If you would like to give it a go, I would recommend at least a Core i7 CPU and 8 GB RAM to handle this throughput with a 1000 rules. In fact, it's it may be better to create one rule with 1000 streams in it using the connection tracking feature.
jgzt26

Re: Maximum throughput the rules can handle   17 May 2016, 00:06

Hi Andrew thank you for that information, does this mean that BWM max throughput will rely on the processing speed of the CPU and its memory? Thanks anyway for the fast response.
jgzt26

Re: Maximum throughput the rules can handle   17 May 2016, 00:14

I would like to rephrase my statement from my last reply.

so this mean that BWM max throughput will "DEPEND" on the processing speed of the CPU and memory?

Re: Maximum throughput the rules can handle   17 May 2016, 00:19

Not directly, but a fast CPU is crucial. At 1 Gbps matching ~100 000 packets against 1000 rules per second requires a lot of computing power. A sufficient amount of RAM is also required for buffers and queues.

If the CPU is slow, the throughput may be less than the theoretical maximum.
jgzt26

Re: Maximum throughput the rules can handle   17 May 2016, 00:24

I get the point already, but my last question is when and why this 3.1.7 is not yet officially released in the homepage. Is it possible for me now to get a license and run this build with no errors? besides from my initial requirement of having 1gbps throughput, are there more features in this build? thank you and have a nice day

Re: Maximum throughput the rules can handle   17 May 2016, 00:43

We normally release a new version every few months, so probably this one will be rolled out in a month or two.

A regular licence will work with this build, but before you buy, I recommend to try the trial version to make sure it fits your requirements.

There are a few other changes comparing with v3.1.6, for example support of reversed penalties that work as a boost. There may be more changes prior to the release.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.