Configuration help: sharing WAN link for IP range with guaranteed bandwidth for one IP

Started by Glenn

Hi Andrew,

I have 2 wan link thas has 60 mbps uncontented rate each, they are both load balanced in our firewall appliance. What would be the right config if i want to have a rule of 100 mbps will be shared by this ip range 10.20.16.50 to 10.20.31.254 and second rule of the remaining 20 mbps will be dedicated to 10.20.16.25 which obviously not in the range in the 100mbps rule.

And under the rule of 100mbps how will i limit p2p to only have 10mbps and the rest protocol will be the 100mbps pipe

Thank you
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Configuration help: sharing WAN link for IP range with guaranteed bandwidth for one IP   18 June 2016, 00:46

That would be something like this:

Source: 10.20.16.25
Destination: Any
Protocol: IPv4
Interface: LAN
Rate: 20 000 000 bps (or 2 500 000 bytes/s)

Source: 10.20.16.50 - 10.20.31.254
Rate: 10 000 000 bps (or 1 250 000 bytes/s)
Advanced: Match P2P

Source: 10.20.16.50 - 10.20.31.254
Rate: 100 000 000 bps (or 12 500 000 bytes/s)
Then the dedicated IP address will run through the first rule, P2P activity through the second rule and anything else through the third rule. Note that BM may not detect each and every P2P connection though and some may fall through to the third rule.
Hi andrew im confuse about the total bandwidth of this 3 rules coz i only have two 60 mbps with total of 120 mbps. But the config you have, seem to equate 130mbps because of 20mbps to dedicated ip, 10 mbps for p2p and 100 mbps to any other protocol.

Re: Configuration help: sharing WAN link for IP range with guaranteed bandwidth for one IP   18 June 2016, 01:28

In this case they may have to compete among each other (the way if there was no BM software) where demand exceeds supply. I guess you can reduce the last rule to 90 Mbps, but there likely to be no difference in practice.
Is there a way that first rule will also compete coz i really wanted to have the dedicated ip to have 20mbps regardless of the traffic below it. It should not lower down to 20mbps.

Re: Configuration help: sharing WAN link for IP range with guaranteed bandwidth for one IP   18 June 2016, 01:45

Then it's better to reduce the third rule to 90 Mbps to make sure the total never exceeds 120 Mbps.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.