Sharing ADSL Internet connection

Started by Aayo Gorkhali

Aayo Gorkhali

Sharing ADSL Internet connection   25 May 2008, 16:50

Here is the summary:
ADSL 128 kbps connection needs to be shared among 4 computers.
I want to dedicate one 500 MHz PC with 512 MB RAM as a BWM server/gateway. It will have 2 NICs. 8 port hub will be hooked for sharing.
ADSL connection from my ISP gives private address for IP, gateway but gives 2 public addresses for DNS.

Does BWM work in this scenario?
Thanks.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Sharing aDSL Internet connection   25 May 2008, 22:02

Yes it does, most people set it up like this. Basically, you can enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) at the gateway or use bridging to enable traffic forwarding between those two NICs and then create a set of rules to regulate bandwidth consumption.
Aayo Gorkhali

Sharing aDSL Internet connection   26 May 2008, 13:26

Thanks for your response. I have tried with ICS and bridging mode on XP machine. However I am unable to connect to my ISP when I do that. Could this feature be unsupported by ISP?

I have also noticed pattern in the way ISP assigns IP & Gateway. This is the example:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.225.158
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.225.158

Everytime I re-login, the IP & Gateway changes. DNS remains same everytime, however. Will this cause any problem with BWM? Sorry for basic networking questions. But I am really excited to try out your product.

Thanks.

Sharing aDSL Internet connection   26 May 2008, 15:32

No, it cannot be unsupported (at least I do not know any ISPs that would prevent it somehow). Dynamic IP addresses are no problem for BWM. In order to help you I need to know the following:

1. What is your ADSL modem model and which mode is it in (bridge or router)?
2. How is your ADSL modem connected to the computer (USB or network)?
3. How all your hardware is connected?

Ideally it should be something like this. That is PC1 .. PC5 are connected via the switch to the BWM server which has Internet Connection Sharing enabled. The second NIC of the BWM server is connected to the modem. In this scenario the modem establishes a connection to the ISP without any interaction with the BWM server.
<PC1>
<PC2>\
<PC3>--<Switch>--<BWMSERVER>--<Router/DSL>--<The Internet>
<PC4>/
<PC5>
joko_gitu_lo

Sharing aDSL Internet connection   06 June 2008, 03:34

hey andrew i got some question for you,
this is my pc setup:

<PC1>
<PC2>\
<MAIN PC>--<Switch>--<Router/Modem>--<The Internet>
<PC4>/
<PC5>

is it possible to install Bandwidth Manager on my MAIN PC, so i can control the bandwidth limit for PC1/2/4/5 ???

Sharing aDSL Internet connection   07 June 2008, 14:12

Possible if PCs 1/2/4/5 actually access the Internet through the main PC. However, If all these PCs are connected directly to the switch, you cannot control bandwidth in this case. The only way to regulate bandwidth is to install the software somewhere on the wire because there is no magic method to limit bandwidth over a network unless direct traffic filtering from all network computers. In other words, the only possible way is
<PC1> 
<PC2>\ 
    <Switch>--<MAIN PC--<Router/Modem>--<The Internet> 
<PC4>/ 
<PC5>
Aayo Gorkhali

Sharing aDSL Internet connection   12 June 2008, 15:17

Finally I was able to switch the modem in routing mode.
I have it setup similar like joko_gitu_lo did above.

Now I would need a separate PC with XP's ICS enabled.
Since ADSL modem (Aztech 605EU) has built-in DHCP server, do I need to disable it somehow?
Things are getting clearer now. Thanks for all the assistance.

Sharing aDSL Internet connection   12 June 2008, 18:03

If your modem acts as a router already, you do not need to use ICS. You would need a separate PC with two network cards on which you would install BWM and merge these two network cards into a bridge as described here. You can assign any IP addresses to these two network cards or not assign IP addresses at all.
Aayo Gorkhali

Sharing aDSL Internet connection   22 June 2008, 15:46

Hello once again.

I finally got the mini network setup as you suggested & it works great!!! smile:
<PC1>
<PC2>\
<5 port Switch>--<MAIN PC with ICS enabled>--<ADSL Modem>--<The Internet>
<PC4>/
<PC5>

I made rules as per the example first with UNLIMITED traffic within LAN & then individual cap for 3 users. After I used the program for couple of days, I have following questions:

1. Is it better to make rule with MAC address instead of IP?
2. Received/Sent status don't get refreshed in a timely manner.
3. If MAIN PC restarts due to power failure, does the program automatically login?
4. It would be useful to include some kind of IP scan utility within the software. That way if my network grows, I could check the new IPs and MAC easily. Isn't it?
5. ADSL interface to MAIN PC is via USB (although I could use Ethernet interface.). From MAIN PC to switch, the interface is NIC. Would I get somewhat better performance if I use 2 NIC?

Well, that's all for now. So far I am happy with the performance and strongly considering the purchase. Thanks again for great support.ok, yes, thumb up

Sharing aDSL Internet connection   22 June 2008, 17:12

1. Does not matter, but potentially MAC addresses are more reliable as the user cannot easily change it.
2. The core updates the statistics every minute, you can refresh it in the control tool as often as you want.
3. The bandwidth manager core starts invisibly at a system boot and remains running until shutdown even if you don't use GUI.
4. We are unwilling to make it an all-in-one swiss knife. Please consider using our free network scanner.
5. As far as I know the connection type between the modem and host PC, whether USB or Ethernet does not influence performance. Yet I personally prefer Ethernet connections over USB as the former do not require additional drivers.
wirespace

Sharing a Dsl Internet connection through bmw   27 July 2008, 14:46

Hi,, Everybody
Mainly to Andrew...

Here is my problem
----------------------------

I hav a 1mbps line taken from tata indicom..
1. they provided me the following equipment (one small model that works for tata main line, One
dslrouter)
2.At present i am providing sharing for 12 people through a switch ..
i.e from mainline to router then router to 8port switch.then switch to some pcs...

3. The network configuration is ip address : 192.168.1.2 (for my pc)
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
default gateway : 192.168.1.1

DNS server Primary : 202.54.12.164
DNS server Secondary : 202.54.29.5

4. For other pcs as same but change in ip address

Ex: Ip address : 192.168.1.3 (for another pc)
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
default gateway : 192.168.1.1

DNS server Primary : 202.54.12.164
DNS server Secondary : 202.54.29.5

same but ip address from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.14 like that now using net..
Now i want to limit them download speed and browsing different speed to different users..

Please tell me how to connect that router to my pc and pc to switch.. I read that using bridging only it is possible without installing service in client pc..

Please please send me the configuration walkthroughs and good support i need it very urgent, i am troublin from a couple of weeks.. please help me and reply me soon..

******Mr. Andrew please help i kow that u can help me to solve my problem.******
or any body else please i am requesting u a lot..it will be a great help..

clearly my doubts are : Rule name means?
Protocol
Interface
Souree Address
Souree Port
Destination Addresas
Destination port
*** And how to configure the two eathernet cards installed in my pc (what should be their network address ans gateways..****
Japz

Sharing aDSL Internet connection   07 August 2008, 18:26

Sir, have a question.

Had a network with this set-up:

<PC1>
<PC2>\
<Switch>--<MAIN PC>--<Router/Modem>--<The Internet>
<PC4>/
<PC5>

Problem is the work station pc's cant do browsing or connect to Yahoo Messanger, but skype software is working fine. What should be the problem? Help? =)
JobZ

Sharing aDSL Internet connection   08 September 2008, 16:35

hai..

i used a network like this:

<PC1>
<PC2>\
<Switch>--<MAIN PC>--<Router/Modem>--<The Internet>
<PC4>/
<PC5>

but,why bwm doesn't work at all?
i used bwm 2.3

thx...

Sharing aDSL Internet connection   16 September 2008, 02:01

Perhaps because you had configured it incorrectly, or you used an (incorrectly) cracked version. I see the latter as the only reason to continue use of v2.3 which is more than three years old.
irfan

Sharing aDSL Internet connection   24 June 2010, 22:34

Yes it does, most people set it up like this. Basically, you can enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) at the gateway or use bridging to enable traffic forwarding between those two NICs and then create a set of rules to regulate bandwidth consumption.

regards,
[www.jobz.pk]
irfan_13050
Kris

Sharing a Dsl Internet connection through bmw   18 July 2010, 21:09

Hi Wirespace,

I am not andrew, but i think i can help. Just let me know what os have you got?
Are the other PCs on wireless or hardwired?

regards

kris

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.