Announce: v2.8 beta

Started by Andrew

SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Announce: v2.8 beta   08 June 2008, 21:26

I am glad to announce availability of BWM version 2.8 beta. Please post all issues and questions in this thread. If there are no major issues in this version, it will become 2.8 release.

Download the installation package here.

It can be installed over a previous installation.

Changes since version 2.7:
+ Indefinite and hourly quotas
+ Combined transfer rates
+ Configurable penalty for users that cause short packet flood
+ Configurable penalty for users with large uploads/downloads
+ User web access to usage reports (added on June 19, 2008)
* Redirection/port mapping works with bridging
* A number of minor fixed and enhancements
* Improved compatibility with Windows Vista/Server 2008.

Combined transfer rates let user share the connection. For example, if a user is given 100 Kb/s combined rate, he/she may utilize up to 100 Kb/s combined downloads and uploads, like 50/50 or 20/80, whatever the proportion can be.

Penalty for short packet flood allows to pad too small network packets to prevent users who have software applications that send many small packets from overfilling the network. This may be useful for wireless networks. Further discussion is available in this thread.

Configurable penalty for large uploads/downloads is a basic form of dynamic bandwidth allocation. This feature allows to penalize users who download or upload large files (or watch youtube smile) by reducing their speed automatically once a download hits the specified limit in seconds or megabytes.

Updated on June 13, 2008: A critical issue caused 'division by zero' has been fixed.

Updated on June 14, 2008: Fixed a problem with port mapping/redirection used in bridging mode. Added additional port filter for mapping/redirection (useful for transparent proxying).

Updated on June 19, 2008: Fixed skew stats if short packet penalty was on. Added user web-access to usage reports. In order to use the latter, activate the built-in web-server in options as shown below, and point your web-browser to the localhost. As the user name enter the name of the rule (case sensitive) which you would like to see usage report of and the password is initially blank (can be configured on a per-rule basis). Screenshots below illustrate the changes.

Updated on July 10, 2008: Quotas may now be resetted on 29, 30 or 31 day (there was a limit of 28 days before). Added automatic usage DB cleanup, fixed minor bug with penalty threshold (now it can be less than 100).

Announce: v2.8 beta   08 June 2008, 22:03

Awesome news. I'll get right on it first thing in the morning. I'm now back hauling a PBX trunk using VoIP so BWM is becoming a very important product in my use of it.

Announce: v2.8 beta   10 June 2008, 15:02

this is Great news!!...
i will try...
but it will not harm the previous installation right?
because we are college and i don't want to make any trouble.... smile

Announce: v2.8 beta   10 June 2008, 17:41

It will overwrite previous installation. To be safe, I would recommend to wait until it becomes a release or you can try it, but just in case make a backup of the previous installation (the files rules.xml and bwmsvc.db) and have a version 2.7 installation package ready in case if anything goes wrong.

Announce: v2.8 beta   13 June 2008, 08:03

I'm getting a few of these errors in the logs now:

2008-06-11 21:52:49 TDequeuer unexpected thread exception: Floating point division by zero
2008-06-11 21:53:00 Dequeuer module has been restarted

Not sure exactly when this is happening exactly.

Gavin.

Announce: v2.8 beta   13 June 2008, 15:02

Hi Gavin, thank you very much for pointing this out. This was a potentially serious problem caused by a reference to an invalid memory block within the program, which could lead to a crash. I have just uploaded the updated installation package and replaced the old file, so please redownload and reinstall it over.

Announce: v2.8 beta   14 June 2008, 07:53

That now seems to be working fine.

Thanks again andrew - as always it's sterling work!
Lucas Alexandre C. Pires

Announce: v2.8 beta   15 June 2008, 16:05

Great news!

I have some suggestions for the BWM

Tool Search. For rules.
Field MEMO for observations of rule.

Andrew, Congratulations! You are doing an excellent job!

Shunt010: Good work, you are giving large contributions to the software.

Announce: v2.8 beta   18 June 2008, 02:00

GREAT NEWS smile
But i still wonder if this beta is compatible with Kerio winroute firewall?
or shall we need a special version like we did with v. 2.7?
Kindly advise. Thank you

Announce: v2.8 beta   19 June 2008, 02:48

Should be fully compatible now. Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

Announce: v2.8 beta   19 June 2008, 15:57

Lucas

I have some suggestions for the BWM
Tool Search. For rules.
Field MEMO for observations of rule.

Search tool added and will be available in next build smile
Martin

Announce: v2.8 beta   19 June 2008, 20:13

Andrew, I have enable the web function and pointed my web browser to [localhost].
Is this the correct way because it is not displaying anything.I have copied the rule name directly from the rule to prevent any mistakes on the rule name itself, but no luck.Please reply-Thank You.-Martin.

Announce: v2.8 beta   19 June 2008, 20:44

First of all, check if the web-server has actually started in the software event log (you might have another web-server listening port 80, in this case disable or uninstall the latter).

Announce: v2.8 beta   19 June 2008, 20:53

Hi Andrew.

I've just installed the latest build

Stats appear now to be working fine, thank you!

Did you have a chance to think about separate upstream/downstream rates per rule and the dynamic ideas I had, or are they for the future?
Martin

Announce: v2.8 beta   20 June 2008, 00:18

Andrew I got it working directly from the XP pc , but if I try to access the stats via wireless access point nothing is displayed. Access points is connected to a hub and hub to XP pc to ADSL router.Nic card connected to The hub and NIC 2 connected to the ADSL router. Softperfect setup in bridge mode with these two NIC cards. Help please.Thank you-Martin.
Barry

Announce: v2.8 beta   20 June 2008, 10:23

A couple of suggestions Andrew :P

Web Info: Nice to see, however I would like it to be expanded with User Support (create user accounts) & group rules under this account. Cause on my network each 'user/computer group' has 3 rules (Peak, Off-Peak & Upload) would be great to see all three at once.

Also, having the rule stats (everywhere) reset at a specific time (user defined?). I've requested this before, but nothing came of it sad

-Barry
Barry

Announce: v2.8 beta   20 June 2008, 11:03

btw: Kerio/Wingate: Not working for me.

Wingate 6.2.2 & BWM 2.8

Tried over-the-top install, and even uninstall/reinstall, still nothing. Had to revert back to 2.7 sad

Announce: v2.8 beta   20 June 2008, 16:49

Andrew,

This program is great. My unit is in support of OEF in Afghanistan and we use your program to manage a Morale service that soldiers can use to communicate with their families back home. I have roughly 500 users and an 8/2 sat link. No flaws at all with the exception of weather interfering with signals.

A few questions, is there a way to filter out what is reported on the web-access usage reports?
Also, can I set up rules to "expire" automatically at a set date? (I.e. they block/delete themselves by a trigger date/time?)

btw: the Dynamic Allocation tab has parameters set up where you can select the threshold in which to invoke the allocation %, well the values default to 100 if you select anything lower than 100, is this on purpose?
Lucas Alexandre C. Pires

Announce: v2.8 beta   21 June 2008, 07:21

Barry,

Use Kerio Winroute Firewall 6.4.2. I have no problems

Andrew,

Thanks to implement search tool !! I have a lot of rules... smile

Announce: v2.8 beta   21 June 2008, 11:21

Hey Andrew, love the web access!

Do you think it would possible to make the Current Rate also display bits per second when set to that in options? Just for the sake of continuity.

I just found the html template, awesome.

Thanks,
Gavin.
Leoco

Announce: v2.8 beta   26 June 2008, 07:28

HI.

I am looking at some of the new features in the 2.8 bata. I would like to see some features in the rule management interface.

Could add a feature to move a rule to the top or the bottom and a way to quickly move rules around. It is hard to move rules with the keyborad. you can Drag rules but it is hard to get them where you want them when you have so many.

Rule Color or highlights. It would be nice to give some rules color or Highlights to make them faster to find.

Selecting more then one rule at a time to move or delete would be nice.

I also trying to force an IP to go to a website. I was using the Redirect I dont know how this is supposed to work.

Thanks
Leo
Lucas Alexandre C. Pires

Announce: v2.8 beta   26 June 2008, 15:38

I believe in the near future BWM can have a lot of features.

The mac spoffing is a big problem for WISP:
Captive Portal (Hotspot)
Users will be redirected to a web portal with login and password. This is an inteligent solution for mac spoffing. The software will previne for double login and more...

Andrew, seek for 'Antamedia hotspot manager' to understand more.

Sorry my english... I am from Brazil and speak and write portuguese mutch better smile

Andrew, thanks for the lot of features in the new BWM. But we are always need more. In this case captive portal is a kind of security feature and can be implemented in the future?

Announce: v2.8 beta   04 July 2008, 01:10

Hi Andrew,

Great work on the upgrade to 2.8.

I see in the 'Help' menu that 'Enter Key' is present.

Will I be required to enter another key code in 30 days, or will my existing license hold?

Thanks

Steve
marcos

Announce: v2.8 beta   08 July 2008, 11:53

Please,

Include QoS.
Ex.: Priority VoIP, after HTTP, Video, POP, FTP, P2P

ex: Include number for priority

tks.

Announce: v2.8 beta   10 July 2008, 02:51

Did you have a chance to think about separate upstream/downstream rates per rule and the dynamic ideas I had, or are they for the future?

We will consider this feature before final release of 2.8. I am not sure, however, hot exactly this will be implemented.

Web Info: Nice to see, however I would like it to be expanded with User Support (create user accounts) & group rules under this account. Cause on my network each 'user/computer group' has 3 rules (Peak, Off-Peak & Upload) would be great to see all three at once.

Good idea. This can also be done if BWM allowed to add multiple rules with the same name, so a user could see of them at once. I will post an update as soon as something is done towards this feature.

Also, having the rule stats (everywhere) reset at a specific time (user defined?). I've requested this before, but nothing came of it

I think we will add an option like "Keep Stats For Last X Days" so old statistics could be erased automatically. Thanks for the suggestion.

A few questions, is there a way to filter out what is reported on the web-access usage reports?

You can modify the HTML template and remove unnecessary tags. See the file default.htm in the installation folder.

Also, can I set up rules to "expire" automatically at a set date? (I.e. they block/delete themselves by a trigger date/time?)

No, currently this cannot be done.

btw: the Dynamic Allocation tab has parameters set up where you can select the threshold in which to invoke the allocation %, well the values default to 100 if you select anything lower than 100, is this on purpose?

I am not sure what you mean, but any value between 10 and 100% is valid.

Will I be required to enter another key code in 30 days, or will my existing license hold?

If you have a license key, you can use it with this version too.

Announce: v2.8 beta   10 July 2008, 07:45

I am not sure what you mean, but any value between 10 and 100% is valid.

I think he was referring to threshold as in "duration threshold, sec"? As this can only be set as low as 100. So a minimum of one and a half minutes have to pass before the allocation value is invoked.

Announce: v2.8 beta   10 July 2008, 19:43

kiwi_rock

I think he was referring to threshold as in "duration threshold, sec"? As this can only be set as low as 100. So a minimum of one and a half minutes have to pass before the allocation value is invoked.

Oh, that's a bug actually. It should allow values as low as 5 or 10. Will be fixed straight away.

kiwi_rock

Do you think it would possible to make the Current Rate also display bits per second when set to that in options? Just for the sake of continuity.

Done. You will need to specify %CURR_RATE_BIT% in the HTML template (this feature will be available in next uploaded build).

Announce: v2.8 beta   12 July 2008, 18:15

Version 2.8 is has been released. Thanks to everyone smile
This topic has been closed.