Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12

Started by Andrew

SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   12 November 2008, 01:31

I am glad to announce version 2.9.1 preview available for download and testing. This build contains a lot of internal changes and updated core. Although these changes have been made to ensure further extensibility of the software, there might also be some minor bugs introduced smile If you happen to find one, please report in this thread.

This build also has a couple of new features:

New feature: Suspended rules. When you define a quota, in addition to a flat transfer rate or 'Blocked' you can now also specify 'Suspended'. In this case when the quota is exhausted, the rule will be suspended, which means it will be ignored until the quota is resetted back. This feature has two useful applications:

1. Multilevel quotas. For example, you could make possible the following scenario: 80 MB download at full rate, then 10 MB at a reduced rate, and after another 5 MB at even lower rate and block completely. Now this can be done by defining three quotas and three rules as follows:

Quota 1: Initial Rate: Unlimited, Reduced Rate: Suspended, Volume: 80 MB
Quota 2: Initial Rate: 100 KB/s, Reduced Rate: Suspended; Volume: 10 MB
Quota 3: Initial Rate: 10 KB/s, Reduced Rate: Blocked; Volume: 5 MB

Rule 1: Source and Destination as needed, the rule linked with Quota 1
Rule 2: Source and Destination as needed, the rule linked with Quota 2
Rule 3: Source and Destination as needed, the rule linked with Quota 3

In this case, provided that the rules are the same but linked with quotas 1, 2 and 3, these rules will come into effect sequentially. That is, Rule 1 will handle first 80 MB, Rule 2 will handle next 10 MB, and finally Rule 3 will let remaining 5 MB and then block the user.

2. You have used up your quota message. This might be useful for those who sell Internet access services to wired or wireless users and would like them to see a message (web-page) if they have used up their allocated quota. To do so, define a quota like you did before, such as Initial Rate: 100 KB/s, Reduced Rate: Suspended. This will cause the software to skip the rule once the quota has been exhausted. In this case, you may define a ruleset like this:

Rule 1. Normal rule linked with a quota to be consumed, which will later turn 'Suspended'
Rule 2. Redirect anyone to a web-page (a rule linked with a mapping).

So if the first rule gets suspended, the user will be redirected to a web-page of your choice. If the user then pays you and you reset the quota, Rule 1 comes into effect again and the user can continue using the Internet.

New feature: Dual quotas. It is now possible to define dual quota limits, for example 100:50, which means 100 MB in and 50 MB out.

P.S. A note of caution before you download: this version may be unable to read your current ruleset if you installed beta version 2.9 before. If this happens, you will have to re-add your rules manually. Ideally, you should uninstall the currently installed version before you install this one as now this version installs more compatible drivers on Windows XP x86 and Windows 2003 x86, which may cause conflicts with the previously installed drivers.

Download page

Any questions and comments are as always welcome smile

Update: the download links have changed to build 2.9.6 as there have been many fixes and enhancements since then.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   12 November 2008, 05:19

It is compatible with Kerio Winroute ?

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   12 November 2008, 10:46

Yes, should be perfectly compatible with KWR. Please let me know if you face any issues.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   12 November 2008, 12:51

Yes! I already installed this. Working 101% laugh

Andrew, the field of "maximum queue size" not change after applying config... Show always 500 value

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   12 November 2008, 16:27

the field of "maximum queue size" not change after applying config... Show always 500 value

Thanks Lucas! That was a bug, it has just been fixed and the updated build re-uploaded to the server, so you can re-download and reinstall the software if this bug is critical for you.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   12 November 2008, 19:29

I'm a little unsure of the dual quota function but I think this doesn't look right?

If I enable under advanced "Incoming or outgoing volume reach the dual limit", specify an initial rate of 256000:64000 and a reduced rate of 32000:32000 (talking kbps not bytes), I get an information box saying:

"You cannot choose the dual limit match option in the advanced quota properties unless you specify a dual quota condition, for example 100:50".

I'm also guessing the port mapping in the advaced tab under edit rules has yet to be implimented? It's greyed out on mine even with a static mapping set. It looks to be a great feature idea though. I like the idea of redirecting to a web page with the quotas full. Brilliant!

Gavin.
BLight

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   12 November 2008, 19:31

Hi, does anybody know where I can find the API manual for 2.9?

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   12 November 2008, 22:57

I'm a little unsure of the dual quota function but I think this doesn't look right?
If I enable under advanced "Incoming or outgoing volume reach the dual limit", specify an initial rate of 256000:64000 and a reduced rate of 32000:32000 (talking kbps not bytes), I get an information box saying:
"You cannot choose the dual limit match option in the advanced quota properties unless you specify a dual quota condition, for example 100:50".

The option "Incoming or outgoing volume reach the dual limit" refers to a dual condition. Let me explain with an example. For instance, you may have a quota reduced from 256000:64000 to 32000:32000 when 100 MB has been transferred. Previously you had an option when the quota is exhausted, either:

1. When either incoming or outgoing volume hits the 100 MB limit
or
2. When the sum of incoming and outgoing volumes hits the 100 MB limit

This new option enables you to specify different limit numbers for incoming and outgoing volumes when the quota is exhausted. Now it's possible to set:

3. When incoming volume hits 80 MB or outgoing volume hits 20 MB. In this case, whichever is hit first, the relevant transfer rate is throttled. For example, if the user first uses up the 80 MB download, his/her download speed will be slowed down to 32000. If the user first uses up the 20 MB upload, his/her upload speed will be slowed down accordingly. In other words, it's now possible to split a single number of megabytes, into a pair such as 80:20, which will throttle downloads and/or uploads, depending which one the user has used up first.

I'm also guessing the port mapping in the advanced tab under edit rules has yet to be implemented? It's greyed out on mine even with a static mapping set.

No, there are no partly implemented features in this version. Could you illustrate what you are referring to with a screen shot?

Hi, does anybody know where I can find the API manual for 2.9?

It's not made yet. This version and hence its control protocol is subject to change, so the manual will only be released once the final release of 2.9 has been published.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   13 November 2008, 06:57

The "additional processing" under edit rule-->advanced, stays greyed out on me even with a port mapping entered under tools-->port mapping.

I probably don't understand how exactly I would make a user redirect to a web server once a quota is suspended. I understand the rule priorities etc... but how do I actually get access to the "additional processing" feature, which I think is what I need to use to redirect a user somewhere?
Attachments:
open | download – process.jpg (45.3 KB)
open | download – mapping.jpg (52.3 KB)

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   13 November 2008, 13:49

Gavin, thanks for the screen shots. In order to make the drop down box with mappings available, choose TCP/UDP or TCP protocol for the rule. That is because the HTTP redirection would obviously work only with HTTP protocol based on TCP, so the redirecting rule must process TCP or mixed TCP/UDP traffic.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   14 November 2008, 01:27

After some time BWM block's the connection to Internet in some rules. When this happen the queue I/O value be lot (50/0). After I restarted bwmservice, all go back to the normal...

See picture when this problem happen...
Attachments:
open | download – teste.jpg (38.2 KB)

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   14 November 2008, 02:10

Andrew,

I am erasing the rules that show this problem, and rewriting... This is resolving the problem for me.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   14 November 2008, 03:06

Andrew, sad

After some time the problem go back again... What I do ?

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   14 November 2008, 08:57

Andrew, Hi again smile

I changed some values in dynamic allocation (Long Transfers 20 to 10 sec, and 35%, Connections 80 to 100 and 35%) and the problem is over... :S :S :S

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   14 November 2008, 11:17

Hi Lucas,

The most likely reason was a client who launched lots of network applications or few heavy P2P applications whose connect requests overwhelmed the BWM's queue. In this case BWM starts dropping packets to avoid memory overflow. You can either increase the queue's size or penalize the user otherwise, just like you did smile The user's computer might also be infected with a virus/trojan horse, this sort of software might cause a packet 'storm' spreading itself.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   14 November 2008, 11:50

Hi Andrew ! smile

Thanks for explanation. I not had other problem after the changes.

A tip for all... I am using TED Notepad to do changes in my ruleset (file XML) replacing more of one sentence. Is good if you have a lot of rules.

Andrew, God bless you.
ahare

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   16 November 2008, 19:58

Hi
So there is no solution for me? Or its limitation on adsl2 + connection?

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   16 November 2008, 23:53

It doesnt look like the port redirect is working. I spent the weekend with this new version and all my attempts to get port 80 sent through squid have failed. I didn't have a problem with the previous 2.9 beta.

I also tested by trying to send port 80 to the localhost on port 80 (web stats page)

Anyone else having issues with the port redirect?

Andrew, when will 2.9 be official? I have to settle on a version to go live next week. What do you recommend?

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   17 November 2008, 02:03

Yes, it seems like the port redirect is broken in this latest beta of 2.9

Andrew, this is critical for me. Can you please look and confirm this, if it is the case?

I only have weekend to test and play, so i'd appreciate if you can assist.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   17 November 2008, 14:02

It doesnt look like the port redirect is working. I spent the weekend with this new version and all my attempts to get port 80 sent through squid have failed. I didn't have a problem with the previous 2.9 beta.

That's really strange, I was unable to reproduce the problem. Could you please post your complete XML ruleset so I might have a look, and also briefly describe your current network setup?

So there is no solution for me? or its limitation on adsl2+ connection?

Sorry, I don't know what's wrong in your case. Though it is not ADSL2+ limitation.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   17 November 2008, 15:24

Hi Harry,

I am using BWM 2.9b port redirect with squid without problems.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   18 November 2008, 02:48

How about you tell me how i should setup the rule.

Thi same rule on the previous version did work.

I have a port redirect setup to port 3128 for squid. The rule is TCP/UDP based and the source is a specific host, destination is any. Ports are any any. The additional processing has port 80 specified and the squid rule selected.

If i go and turn off the squid service and then browse from the host in the rule, it still browses even though squid is off. It should be giving me an error page, but it still browses.

I check the squid log and there is nothing there either. It is not redirecting at all.

Should i uninstall everything and redo it from scratch? When you uninstall, does it remove all registry entries, etc..?

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   18 November 2008, 02:55

Okay, i removed and re-installed and re-created the rules and it is still not redirecting.

Andrew, can i give you access so you can have a look. Pating my config here is not good, since my public IP's are in use and this will eventually become a live config.

Kindly let me know what else i should be doing.

On the source host, if i put the proxy address in the browser then it works. If squid is off, i get an error. With the redirect, it just completely ignores it and goes stright onto the Internet.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   18 November 2008, 03:11

It says i am running 2.9 build 0

I renamed the xlm rule file and it created a new blank one. I went through the motions and it still aint working.

I'm not sure what to do now. I've been playing for days and i just want to get a working configuration so i can move onto something else.

Andrew, can you please tell me how i can contact you to send you login details or even the xml file via email or something.

Thank you.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   18 November 2008, 06:18

Harry, you can substitute your public ip for something else, but it is important you post your ruleset and your squid config.
I did ask you this before but never got any reply.
If you want us to help, you need to be as specific as posible.

Arthur.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   18 November 2008, 07:59

Harry, My setup of Squid and BWM is equal a Andrew HOWTO

http://www.softperfect.com/support/articles/squid/
Tony

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   18 November 2008, 12:04

Andrew, will there be a release of 2.9 that does accept the old rules and config? I would hate to have to re-enter all of that.

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   18 November 2008, 14:35

Andrew, can you please tell me how i can contact you to send you login details or even the xml file via email or something.

Sure, please send me your xml to have a look, and if this doesn't help, we'll arrange remote access to your network. Also please mention your IP addressed used on your network (mainly those assigned to clients whose bandwidth you are trying to restrict and 'ipconfig /all' dump from the server). My private e-mail address is andrew at softperfect.com.

Andrew, will there be a release of 2.9 that does accept the old rules and config? I would hate to have to re-enter all of that.

I think so. It will be able to read 2.8 and older configs, but probably those created by version 2.9B too.
Tony

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   19 November 2008, 09:37

I think so. It will be able to read 2.8 and older configs, but probably those created by version 2.9B too.

That's not too bad. Thanks

Version 2.9.1 preview from November 12   19 November 2008, 10:56

harry

Okay, i removed and re-installed and re-created the rules and it is still not redirecting.
Andrew, can i give you access so you can have a look. Pasting my config here is not good, since my public IP's are in use and this will eventually become a live config.
Kindly let me know what else i should be doing.

On the source host, if i put the proxy address in the browser then it works. If squid is off, i get an error. With the redirect, it just completely ignores it and goes straight onto the Internet.

Mine's not redirecting either, I'm probably doing something wrong?

I've tried running a web server on the same machine as BWM router (not bridged) on port 81 and redirecting using url http://172.24.96.2:81/ (local) however this doesn't seem to work.

I've set up a filter for TCP and source/destination any IP, destination port 80 to invoke the port mapping entry that redirects by URL to port 81. This after a quota filter is suspended above it.

The web server is running fine on port 81 if I type in the URL in another machine's browser. When the quota suspends though the browser doesn't get redirected, just sits there waiting for a reply.

One small quirk I did notice on top, if I have a tiny quota say 2MB for testing the suspend feature, the quota used graph in the filter lays out columns of 0.2,0.4,0.6,0.8,1.0,1.2, 1.4, 1.6 1.8, 2MB. Of course, the graph only updates used quota in 1MB chunks. Took me a moment to realise that. smile

Gavin.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.